Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1

I shots these gorilla portraits at the St. Louis Zoo to practice with a new lens. Any comments? Which of the two shots works better?
Attached Images

gredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:55 AM   #3

She'll want both for her wall but I prefer the light and the background of the first shot. What lens were you trying out? Looks nice and sharp.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:08 PM   #4

Each is a study in a different mood, equally effective. When I was a child, a friend who was the wife of a well known Indian portrait artist wanted to give me one of his paintings. I had to choose between a brave with a headband and single feather and a chief with full war bonnet. I thought war bonnets were a dime a dozen, and so chose the brave. My mother insisted I take the chief, but I was adamant. We were at an impasse, so the nice woman gave them both!! That is the way I feel about these - I am beside myself and cannotchoose! :?

These both are really fine.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:55 PM   #5

I like them both but if I have to pick it would be number 1.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:08 PM   #6

JDar wrote:
Quote:
She'll want both for her wall but I prefer the light and the background of the first shot. What lens were you trying out? Looks nice and sharp.
First, I'm impressed that you knew this is a female gorilla. It is a "she", but I don't think I would have known that just from these pictures.

The lens is aNikkor 70-200mm VR. This is my first time out with it, and it's much better than I am.

Greg
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:35 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Each is a study in a different mood, equally effective. When I was a child, a friend who was the wife of a well known Indian portrait artist wanted to give me one of his paintings. I had to choose between a brave with a headband and single feather and a chief with full war bonnet. I thought war bonnets were a dime a dozen, and so chose the brave. My mother insisted I take the chief, but I was adamant. We were at an impasse, so the nice woman gave them both!! That is the way I feel about these - I am beside myself and cannotchoose! :?

These both are really fine.
I'm glad you mentioned "mood" because that's what I personally like about the second shot. This is actually a tight crop of the original (below). The gorilla had just been displaced from her resting spot by another, apparently more dominant female. There was no violence but this was her expression as she walked away.
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:54 PM   #8

gredan wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned "mood" because that's what I personally like about the second shot. This is actually a tight crop of the original (below). The gorilla had just been displaced from her resting spot by another, apparently more dominant female. There was no violence but this was her expression as she walked away.
That close crop really helps emphasize the expression - definately resentful. The first 0nehas aslyly bemused look, like she was planning something- a great expression. Maybe the alpha female didn't like it and "bumped" her to show her displeasure.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote