Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:11 PM   #1

The Red Eye not a jet

At first I was thinking they must of gotten here on The Red Eye From Los Angeles. But after a little more thinking I realized that couldn't be we don't even have a airport.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:37 PM   #2

Roger, the last two are a nice depiction of a courtship display in Western Grebes (the male is on the right).

You are right about the airport, but they still could have gotten their red eyes in Los Angeles, as some of them winter there (but yours are probably resident, so they can't blame the smog). :G
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3

beautiful shots roger. i really like the composition with the reflections in the water too. however that last shot has a bit of purple fringing in the white areas of the western grebe. overall, the 2nd shot is my favorite.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:15 PM   #4

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Roger, the last two are a nice depiction of a courtship display in Western Grebes (the male is on the right).

You are right about the airport, but they still could have gotten their red eyes in Los Angeles, as some of them winter there (but yours are probably resident, so they can't blame the smog). :G
Thanks Penolta for letting me know what is is officially. Western Grebe for me doesn't sound near as good as Old Red Eye.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Western Grebe for me doesn't sound near as good as Old Red Eye.
An old name was Swan Grebe, which might sound better to you, but I'll join you in a shot of Old Redeye anytime!.:G

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:03 AM   #6

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
beautiful shots roger. i really like the composition with the reflections in the water too. however that last shot has a bit of purple fringing in the white areas of the western grebe. overall, the 2nd shot is my favorite.

- hung
I never noticed the fringing, now I got to try and figure out what casue it. Thanks for pointing me to it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:07 AM   #7

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
...however that last shot has a bit of purple fringing in the white areas of the western grebe.

- hung
What has been the cause of the purplish fringing?

I have the feeling that the resolution problem in #1, 3 & 4 are the result of one or a combination of the following: 1. focusing problem as the red eye are in motion; 2 slightvibration due to the range of the lens; or 3slight overexposure on the white.

Obviously, the problem is not with the lens as #2 turns out to be pretty decent in quality.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote