Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:43 AM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
Every time I focus a night heron, no except for other birds as well, I focus on their eyes. In fact, the shining bright red eyes of this creature are attractive as well as dangerous. The gaze it has on the water isa sign of sure killing as it eventually will result in preys being caught and swallowed. Here are a few shots I took of this creature. In all the situations, the heron was in a low-light environment, so bear with the noise.

Nice capture. You could always defog and denoise. Made a try. Hope you like it

Torgny

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:31 AM   #12
shk

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
shk wrote:
Well 200 isn´t that much. How is your over all experience with the vr 18-200?
AFS is fastand quiet and the screw one on the traditional lens is no match. VR is essential for handheld at the tele range.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"However, the front glasses are heavy and so will easily slide outward when the camera is facing downward. I tend not to like the pull-push zoom mechanism as itsucksparticulate matters in along withair when the lens is zoomed fast.
shk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:41 AM   #13

Torgny: Marvellous retouching. I used the Camedia of the Olympus to fix the portrait format of the shot so that it remains forever vertical when posted up here. In that software, thereare no denoising and/or defogging devices, so I just can't manage to reduce the noise and increase contrast in such a successful way as you did.

Did you use the Photoshop for the retouching or others?
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:46 AM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

shk wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:
shk wrote:
Well 200 isn´t that much. How is your over all experience with the vr 18-200?
AFS is fastand quiet and the screw one on the traditional lens is no match. VR is essential for handheld at the tele range.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"However, the front glasses are heavy and so will easily slide outward when the camera is facing downward. I tend not to like the pull-push zoom mechanism as itsucksparticulate matters in along withair when the lens is zoomed fast.
Thanks for the information. Does that mean that you easily get dust on the sensor and other places?

Torgny

Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:59 AM   #15

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
Torgny: Marvellous retouching. I used the Camedia of the Olympus to fix the portrait format of the shot so that it remains forever vertical when posted up here. In that software, thereare no denoising and/or defogging devices, so I just can't manage to reduce the noise and increase contrast in such a successful way as you did.

Did you use the Photoshop for the retouching or others?
These pictures have all the qualities you could ask for. They are definitely worth some light polishing

"defogging"

CS2/

Filter/

Unsharp mask/

Amount 20%/

radius 250 (max value)

"denoising"

Noise Ninja plug-in for Photoshop; position

Filter/

PictureCode/

Noise Ninja (no presets)

Torgny

Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:56 PM   #16

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
"defogging" ...
"denoising"...
Many thanksfor the procedure. It is very kind of you.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:06 PM   #17
shk

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Does that mean that you easily get dust on the sensor and other places?
I have no other zoomlenses with meto compare with so can't tell; but once read about that in photography magazines. Coupled with my experience with the pull-push zoom, I tend to agree to the view that more sensor dust will occur in the camera. I have been using my D80 for about 5 months and I changed lenses not often. The track record is that I have done dust clearing two times in the past 5 monthsmyself. Is ittoofrequent compared to your cleaning record?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:22 PM   #18

shk wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:
The track record is that I have done dust clearing two times in the past 5 monthsmyself. Is ittoofrequent compared to your cleaning record?

80-200 is really inconvenient due to'sliding out'. Also read about the relationship between 'pull-push' and dust problems. I think the relationship is positive, i.e. the problem does exist. I have an 80-200 and I use it with care every time,i.e. not to zoom too fast.

To test whether there is sensor dust, I recommend closing the shutter down to f22 something and taking a flash shot of alight surface.The shot youwill get is a mirror to unveil the evil dust has done to your sensor.

On an average,Icleanthe sensor 2 times a year. I try not to as far as possible as cleaning a spot of acertain dust always endsup with having smear/dustin another part of the sensor and I have to do it about 3-4 times before I can get a satisfactory result.Myskill with that is not at all sophisticated I think and I dislikedoing thecleaning with a viewto avoiding all the toil. HoweverI really have to clean in case if I amgoing to do a lot ofmacro shootingusing very small apertures.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"An experience to share about cleaning: Use as little solvent as possible to avoid the smear left on the sensor surface.

Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:30 PM   #19
shk

wk7leung,

Many thks
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:22 PM   #20

My pleasure