Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:49 AM   #1

It's interesting how the quality of light will change the appearance of colors. I camped out at this small pond and took pics of Blacked Necked Stilts from about 5pm to 8pm.

1) This first shot was taken while a Blacked Neck Stilt was flying over the middle of the pond. It was away from the marsh reeds in open water. The background of this pic was composed of the blue skies reflecting above. Doesn't it look like a little tooth fairy?

2) Here the sun is getting lower in the sky. The Stilt was getting closer to the marsh reeds at the edge of the pond. The background water has more of a dark green appearance. I pushed the green in post processing to enhance the look.

3) Last shot of the evening. The setting sun is giving out it's best golden rays. The Stilt is close enough to the marsh reeds where they give shimmery reflections in the water. I like this composition the best. However, some of the black feathers are lost in the background.

Thanks for looking.

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:49 PM   #2
shk

Terrific colors and framing. The low-angle light adds also to the beauty of the shot. Fantastic.
shk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:58 PM   #3

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
It's interesting how the quality of light will change the appearance of colors....Doesn't it look like a little tooth fairy?
#1 is just lovely. Like a angel descending from above. The colours of the different times were well captured and they served the stilt well in every situation. The sharpness and details were also outstanding. A wonderful series of a graceful and charing littleshore bird.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:12 AM   #4

Very nice series. Especially numbers 1 & 2. What was your setup and how far were you from the birds?
Really great shots,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:44 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I shoot with a canon 20d and a canon ef 400mm f5.6. I was sitting on the banks of a small pond where these black necked slilts wade. At first they were skittish and went deeper into the pond, but after awhile they came within about 10-20 feet of where I was sittng on the shores. I was sitting in the wide open and shoot handheld.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote