Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1

1) Ran into a flock of house finches on my bike ride today.

2)

3)

4) A Black Skimmer doing it's thing.

5) The harbinger of death

Thanks for looking.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:03 AM   #2

Nicely done Hung

Thanks for sharing
Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:48 PM   #3

Nice going Hung - The Skimmer is outstanding - Best skimming photo I've seen (and I've seen - and taken - a number of them).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:53 PM   #4

Nice work, Hung....especially on the Skimmer. Beautiful capture!

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:25 PM   #5

Excellent capture.

I have aquestion which is about metering, which I hope you won't mind sharing your experience: What metering option do you use when doing bird in flight shots?
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:41 PM   #6

Hey Doc, Beautiful series...especially the skimmer(which I don't believe I've ever seen before...midwest thing) What a remarkable capture! Had you been watching it very long or did it just happen??? Which lens do you have with you??

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:53 PM   #7

Thank you. Ask away. I'm always happy to trade tips and techniques.

What I have found to work best for my photography is:

- Partial Metering (aka Spot Metering): The canon 20D does not have a true spot metering since it samples from 9% instead of a usual 2% area. Despite that, I still find it helpful especially when photographing white or black feathered birds.

- I shoot in Apeture priority mode. This lets me control the depth of field and the camera will figure out the fastest shutter speed given the exposure. I will adjust the exposure compensation if I am worried that the light is too bright or dark.

- I have set up my camera to use the center focus point only. I have tried using all the focus points but when I am trying to track a bird in flight, I achieve the most success using the center focus point only. That way my camera knows exactly where I am try to focus on and then it's only a matter of hand eye coordination to keep that center focus point on the bird while it is flying.

- I shoot in AI-Server mode which is basically continuous autofocus. It is the best for tracking moving targets.

- For shooting birds in flight I will adjust my ISO to keep my shutter speed above 1/1000 inorder to get sharp pics.

Alot of it is just practice, practice, practice. I started out shooting sea gulls at the local park. One tip to improve upon shooting birds in flight is to bring some bread to a local pond where there are alot of sea gulls. Have a friend toss pieces of bread into the air. Soon sea gulls will swoop in to catch the bread. You can stand back and practice tracking them and taking shots. You can do this until you run out of bread or run out of space on your memory card. I use to do this alot inorder to improve my hand eye coordination. It really helps. Then one day when you are out hiking and that osprey or northern harrier pops out over the tree and gives you only 2 seconds to shoot it before it disappears, you have the hand eye coordination to get the shot!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

- Hung

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
Excellent capture.

I have aquestion which is about metering, which I hope you won't mind sharing your experience: What metering option do you use when doing bird in flight shots?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:03 PM   #8

Hello Wadue.

Thanks for the compliment. I went for a bike ride this weekend out to Upper Newport Backbay. I pulled over to the side and watched these Black Skimmers fly around the bay. They would often skim close to shore so it was just a matter of getting to the right position and waiting for them to skim by. There is quite a large population of Black Skimmers in this area so my chances of capturing one skimming was very good. I use a canon 20D body and a canon ef 400mm f5.6 lens handheld.

best regards,

- Hung
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:21 PM   #9

Excellent shots Hung. That skimmer is a beauty. Nice to see a bunch of finches being cooperative....cheers......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:05 PM   #10

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you. Ask away. I'm always happy to trade tips and techniques.
Thanks for the patience in answering.They are solid tips indeed.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote