Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1

I created a new time-lapse video from different sets of still photos I've captured over the past few weeks of the Monarch caterpillars we've been working with here at home. This shows the tiny caterpillars growing and becoming a butterfly.

The photos were taken on 10-second intervals keeping the camera powered up all the time. The setup was a Sony DSC-S75 digital camera controlled via the ACC port (setup below). The whole process took about 2-hours total, but I did remove some of the beginning frames so the video posted wasn't too long. The frames are played back at 0.125 seconds in a WMV movie format created using Movie Maker, which comes free with XP. I had to create the movie in chunks since Movie Maker couldn't handle processing all of the JPEG still photos at one time.

Click here to watch the time-lapse video created from the still photos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBRFQMMp9w

Here's what the setup looks like

Attached Images

haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2

wow! that is so cool. thanks for posting the video. did you use an automatic shutter timer or did you actually sit there and trigger it every 10 seconds? i like your lightbox set up too. that caterpillar is quite a hungry little fellah. hehe

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:01 PM   #3

Thanks! It took a while to get the timing down and all. There's a small box the controls the camera, and inside here is a controller we designed. There are DIP switches to adjust the delay between photos, so depending on what you're capturing a time-lapse series of you can adjust the photos to produce the kind of play back that you are looking for.

This Sony camera has a ACC-Terminal port and we remotely shutter the camera through this port.

haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:52 PM   #4

Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing the link!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote