Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:37 PM   #11

hello ellenfl,

you just need to ask.
i shoot with a canon 20d with a canon ef 400mm f5.6 lens.
what camera did you just get? goodluck shooting those green herons.

best regards,

- hung

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
i have been unable to get a pic of the two young green herons at my pond because they make their appearance at dusk. your pic is super! all of your pics are great.

as you can see, i am new to posting here so i don't know if i should be able to tell what camera you use. am i not looking in the right places to figure that out or do i have to ask? tia

i just got a new camera for wildlife pics and i am not sure i can get pics that good with it.

ellen fl
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:32 AM   #12

Fantastic in pattern and control over the depth of view.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:38 PM   #13

hung, i got a panasonic lumix dmc-30z . . . for 3 reasons: image stabilization, 12x zoom and raw format. i specifically wanted the zoom because my herons do not let me get close enough. i would have used my pentax ist ds with one of my zoom lenses but i need the image stabilization.

your pics are just incredible. i hope i can get some as good. :-) i like to know what camera is used so i know what any particular camera is capable of. do you use a tripod? if not, what are your settings?

ellen

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:48 PM   #14

i shoot handheld. i use aperature priority mode. usually wide open at f5.6 but depeding upon the size of the bird, i may stop down to f8 if there is enough light.
i shoot jpg, center focus point, partial metering.

- hung

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
hung, i got a panasonic lumix dmc-30z . . . for 3 reasons: image stabilization, 12x zoom and raw format. i specifically wanted the zoom because my herons do not let me get close enough. i would have used my pentax ist ds with one of my zoom lenses but i need the image stabilization.

your pics are just incredible. i hope i can get some as good. :-) i like to know what camera is used so i know what any particular camera is capable of. do you use a tripod? if not, what are your settings?

ellen

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote