Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:11 AM   #1

I noticed alot of dragonflies flitting around the marsh reeds so I put on my extension tube turned my attention to dragon hunting.

1)

2)

3) A Metallic Green Bee. They are tiny! This one was less than 0.5cm. They are quite photogenic little bees.

Thanks for looking.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:15 AM   #2

#1 is terrific. Great details, razor sharpness and perfect exposure.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:20 AM   #3
KEM

Very nice Hung... I like the eye detail in the first.

Was the extension tube usedon your 400mm? If so , what was your min focus distance and did you use a tripod?

-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
I noticed alot of dragonflies flitting around the marsh reeds so I put on my extension tube turned my attention to dragon hunting.
Excellent photos, Hung,showing the poses and clear details necessary to identify this one as a Variegated Meadowhawk (female), widespread in the Western US.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:53 PM   #5

1) Wk7leung - Thanks for looking and commenting.

2) Kent - I use a 36mm kenko autofocus extension tube on my canon ef 400mm f5.6 lens. It shortens the minimum focus distance down to about 5-6 feet. I handhold these shots. I try to shoot in bright light inorder to keep the shutterspeed up to prevent hand shake.

3) Penolta - Thanks for the ID! I never realized there were so many different species of dragonflies. Now that I have been photographing them, I find the different color variations are quite interesting. I've seen some blue and green ones ( that's the extent of my dragonfly species identification skills...hahahah) out in the field that I really what to photograph. Can you recommend a website that is good for ID'ing dragonflies.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:29 PM   #6

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Can you recommend a website that is good for ID'ing dragonflies.
Not offhand, but I can recommend a good field guide: Dragonflies Through the Binoculars - A field Guide to Dragonflies of North America by Sidney W. Dunkle. It covers all 307 species of North American dragonflies with photographs and range maps (no damsel flies, though). You can find it online at Barnes & Noble and probably Amazon and elsewhere. A word of caution, though (for all field guides, not only dragonflies) - you can't always rely on matching pictures alone - you have to use the range maps and descriptions as well. There are fewer dragonflies in California than the East, so the maps help weed out some similar species, and you need to read the descriptions because the sexes are different and often change color with age (and all variations are not shown in the pictures). There is also another field guide -- oneto the dragonflies and damselflies of Eastern North America, but asI live in California I haven't seen that one; There is also a University of California publicaton on the Dragonflies of California - I havent used that one either, so I don't know how well illustrated it is.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote