Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:33 PM   #1

Testing out my new, to me,Canon 300mm f/4 L lens today :-) This was my first time taking photos of animals. The only other time was shooting squirrels at Union Square Park :G Man, it's tough photographing animals! :OThese monkey shotsare the only decentphotos I got out of 170 :sad: No birds, no seals, no polar bears...none came out except for these :sad:

Thanks for looking!

Chris

cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2

how come your other shots didn't come out? were you shooting in the shade and the shots came out blurry? what did you set your iso to and what shutter speed were you getting? nicemonkey shots btw.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:38 PM   #3

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
how come your other shots didn't come out? were you shooting in the shade and the shots came out blurry? what did you set your iso to and what shutter speed were you getting? nicemonkey shots btw.

- hung
Thanks Hung! I had my camera set to AV for most of the shots. ISO was 200 outdoors. I was always wide open at f/4which gave me ashutter speed of around 1/400 - 1/500s. I couldn't use my tripod because there was so many people there. The birds were indoors with a lot of shaded areas. I shot them at ISO 1600 and they all were blurry. The seals were in direct sun light. All of those shots were blown out. Next time I want to go to the Bronx Zoo during the weekday. Hopefully it won't be too crowded so I can take my timesetting up and I can usemy tripod without being worried if some kid will trip over it.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:28 PM   #4

ah ok. you might want to get a monopod for use at the zoo. much more portable and it won't get in way of other spectators. i use this one and it works great and is quite affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-MP100-P...868&sr=8-1

- hung
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:37 PM   #5

That's inexpensive! I like that! :-) I doubt my 20D plus 300mm f/4 or 70-200mm f/2.8 will come anywhere near 32 lbs, perfect! Thanks again Hung!

Chris
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:51 PM   #6

oh one more suggestion. since you are shooting captive animals, you really have alot of time to shoot and review your pics while you are there. get into the habit of checking the histogram when you are shooting. that will let you know if you are over exposed or under exposed. if you are shooting in harsh light then lower the iso and adjust the exposure compensation to -1/3 to -1. then recheck the histogram after the shot. alot of dslrs will have a setting that when you review an image, areas that were blown out will blink black and white. that makes for quick review to see if you need to adjust the exposure compensation and reshoot. since the animals have no where to go, you have plenty of time to experiment with the settings.

- Hung

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
The seals were in direct sun light. All of those shots were blown out.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:38 AM   #7

Thanks for the tips Hung!

Chris