Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:32 PM   #1

I have been going back over last years shots waiting for this season migration to really get going. I'm a little anxious waiting for Nikons D300 to be released. I pre-ordered one last month and now I find myself twiddling my thumbs. I have never been very patient when comes to new toys.:roll:
Anyway, back last November with Mt. Lassen Peak in the background I caught this flock of geese being scared up by a cruising Bald Eagle. Seen in the upper left. All of this was happening about 3/4 of a mile away from my position. But the morning light made for a pretty decent picture anyway, at least I thought so . Maybe I'm just easy to please. :G
Thanks for looking.
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2

Wonderful moment, wonderful shot, thanks for sharing it. The mountain peak in the background really adds a huge flavor of migration to this shot.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:59 AM   #3

I have seen this same thing in the Louisiana marshes - there were so many geese that the whole horizon seemed to lift up.Peregrineselicit the same reaction in California from flocks of shorebirds.If you had been any closer, themagnitude of the reaction tothe eagle's passagewould have been lost. I think it is perfect for portraying the event.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:48 PM   #4

i think this shot does well to capture the magnitude of the flock of geeze. wow! getting that eagle in the shot was the icing on the cake.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:58 PM   #5

Thanks for all the nice compliments.
Hung, truth be told, I knew what was spooking these geese but it wasn't until after I had processed the picture did I notice that I had acutally captured the Eagle. I thought it added a nice touch as well.
Norm and Penolta, thanks for the nice words as well.

All the best,
Steve
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:45 AM   #6

Wow! That's a lot of geese! Great to capture a moment like this. The perspective is really notable here. The sheer numbers must have been in the hundreds..The eagle was a real bonus.....cheers..........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:31 AM   #7

Thanks Don, That shot was right at the beginning of lift-off. Here are a couple others from the same time. There had to be 5,000 to 10,000 birds getting up, maybe more. It was a glorious cacophany of cackling geese for sure.

Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:32 AM   #8

And then just when it started to subside, you can see the snow geese in the distance got all riled up over the same eagle. Quite a site to behold.