Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:05 AM   #11

Thanks Steve, VP, Leung and Bob! My switch to a different camera system has helped a lot for BIF's. A lot easier to track and the focus is much faster in continuous AF mode....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:36 PM   #12

Greetings Don!

Great captures!! I love the variety of in flight shots you've caught and shared here!

The one of the seagull with the oyster in its beak is a classic... well done!

As are the other ones..

I DID have to laugh so much at the "bombs away" photo... :-) :G :-) Very cool!! Once in a lifetime opportunity I'd say!!!

You wrote that your switch to a different camera system has improved your BIF shots, notably by better autofocus, etc.

As I see you shoot with a Canon 30D. What camera / brand systems did you have before?

And as I know lenses make a lot of difference. What lens/es were these photos taken with?

I have a canon 350D, and am thankful with it. I know focus isn't the strongest point of the 350D, but it does a good job for what I currently need. I'm very thankful with thousands and thousands of photos I've taken with it.

When my camera (350D) dies I will most likely consider buying a 40D (or maybe 50D by then) ... as it will match my lenses and give me the features and quality I've come to admire from this range of Canon DSLRs (the xxd series.) Currently my camera has taken about 40,000 photos.

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:59 PM   #13

Sorry but I cant pick a best or worst one. Each pic has a unique quality. They are all outstanding. Great work.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:41 AM   #14

the first two and the last one I like the best. I love the crow in flight, they are my favorite bird

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:45 AM   #15

Thanks very much Paul, Bynx, Julie. I like crows too....they're very intelligent and have a mysteriousnous about them.

Paul, I switched from a Pentax k10d to the 30d. The pentax has very good IQ, but the CAF is just not the same. My rate of capturing BIF's with the Pentax was very low, but has improved dramatically with AI Servo on the 30d. The lens I used is the 300L IS f/4. Can't afford the f/2.8, but I'm saving my $'s. The 300 is an excellent lens, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who can't afford the real fast glass It also works well with a 1.4 extender....cheers...Don

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:28 PM   #16

Beauties, Don, you have some really unique flight poses here, believe it or not my favorite is the crow, something about that shot that is intriguing for me. It's eyeball is looking upwards rather than down at you shooting. Something must have been of interest to it upwards
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:47 AM   #17

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Beauties, Don, you have some really unique flight poses here, believe it or not my favorite is the crow, something about that shot that is intriguing for me. It's eyeball is looking upwards rather than down at you shooting. Something must have been of interest to it upwards
Thanks very much Norm. I like the crow shot a lot too. A little unusual the way it was looking above. Probably another crow or gull challenging from above...cheers...Don
Old Nov 4, 2007, 5:13 AM   #18

They are all nice Don, but the Chickadee is a great capture since their wings are so difficult to catch in motion.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:44 PM   #19

nice bif series don. i particularly like the pigeon.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:37 PM   #20

Nice series, Don! I may like the first one the best.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote