Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:47 AM   #1

Well we have one more month of spring left and the last couple of days have been overcast and not the greatest for photos. Today there were brief moments of sunshine in between cloud and its been cooler and windier than usual but I decided to put the 60m macro on the camera and step outside the back of my home and try to get some shots, had to keep waiting for the wind to drop as everything was blowing around and these are handheld shots. I was lucky to get a shot of the butterfly as they rarely sit still long enough, got lucky today.

this shot was a depth of field test (400 5.6 prime)

and another shot of one of the baby coots Ive been watching grow up, a heavy crop

This was a test of handholding the 400 5.6 on insects. These flies hover just above bushes and trees and are about half the size of a large bee. settings were F8 ISO 640

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2007, 4:09 AM   #2

Hi aladyforty,

I love all your shots. They are all so unique and special in their own right.

You put the 60mm macro to good use as I see! I know what you mean about the weather, we've also had cooler and windier days than normal here in Adelaide over the last few days and even weeks... but the recent rain has given SOME relief to farmers (though not to all).

You mentioned that you had to wait for the wind to drop at times, I also had the same challenges at times with trying to capture closeups. But as I'm sure you know, some overcast weather can be put to good effect, as it's not so harsh as direct sunlight.

The butterfly shot is great... I've only caught a number of butterflies, but yes they do flit around a lot. Would like to have a lens matched to my Canon 350D that allows me to get as close up as a macro... maybe one day. The just oof wing detail (lower underside wing area) has some sort of noisy/blotchy aspect... is that due to some conversion (raw to jpeg) or downsizing for the web? (because it doesn't appear in the beautifully smooth green background blur)...

Bee photo is pin sharp and great use of dof! Well done. Seagull shot looks great, and appears both are standing on one leg each (as they often do). (looks like they are having a conversation the way their heads are turned to each other). Coot photo is interesting... looks a bit "ruffled". What will it look like when adult?

Finally the two bugs / flies photo is great.... looks like a formation of planes (coming in to attack!) I think you've really caught elements of nature "in their element" in each of these photos.. Love it!

We're expecting a lovely week ahead with temps again nearer the 30's as it has already been several times this spring in Adelaide, hope you'll have the same soon.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing...

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:21 AM   #3

always appreciate the feedback, thanks for looking
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:58 AM   #4

Awsome shots, Lady!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5

2,3 and 5 are killers for me, Julie, really fine photographs with a very interesting flavor, especially the insect hair texture in 2 and the overall presentation in #3, one of the best shots I've ever seen of seagulls. That shot is amazing in many ways, imo. The only thing that I'd like to have seen was the tail of the secondary gull. That would have made that shot absolute perfection. The background effect with the pinks, green tones, and whitish globe is magnificent. The eyeball of the gull simply putting the icing on the cake with this one.

PS - the bees are perfect, couldn't be better
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:25 PM   #6

WOW!!! for the whole series but the Flies in flight is my favorite. You dond did gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:12 AM   #7

You put that Macro to good use! The detail in that wasp is awesome and the flyingbeeswas a feat. Nice work!!
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:46 AM   #8

those flies in flight are incredible! very nice shooting.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:15 AM   #9

Thanks for all the comments, I have to admit that the flies in flight were the hardest to get, My arms were killing me by the timeI got that shot, took at least 30 shots to get that. The little buggers hover then just as you are about to get focus they dart upwards, very difficult.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:22 AM   #10

You shot with heart. The shots represent the perspective you have for things, very personal in style and the shots smack of a strong urge to create artistically. It is always this urge with which viewers are impressed.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote