Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:32 AM   #1

Hello All,

I don't usually post in this section of the forums, but I DO sneak a look quite often at a lot of the fantastic photography you guys & gals post here.

Recently I captured this bird, but I'm really not sure what it is... my guess some type of heron... ? Maybe called a white heron?

Would love your feedback, BOTH on what bird it is AND generally what you think of the photo... I know it's not a pro shot... but I do like birds and hope to expand into this area of photography and increase my skills in this area too.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:47 AM   #2
KEM

Paul,

The picture is of a Great Egret. We also have them here in the states. Great Egrets are difficult to expose due to their stark white plumage and skittish behavior. You've done a great job on exposure, sharpness and framing.

Well done!

-KM

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3

nice shot on the great heron. the vertical framing works well for this shot. good job protecting the whites on the exposure. my only suggestion is to leave a bit more room in front of the subject.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:37 AM   #4

Thanks guys!

I appreciate both of your insightful replies. Thanks!!

So... is it great Egret or great Heron? (two conflicting answers..) Anyone else?

KM, yes you're totally right - exposure for such a bird is (was) difficult, because of the brilliant white plumage! And against a dark background didn't help... but I think I did ok on this one.

Actually this one was not quite so skittish because it was walking around waiting on a fisherman to throw it small fish he was catching.. (as were a couple of pelicans and some seagulls). The birds and the fisherman seemed like "old buddies"..! quite commical to watch, especially when one bird got a feed and some others tried to "steal it"!

----------------

Hung, thanks also for your comments.

It was difficult to get any other orientation to capture this (as I was quite close and wanted to highlight the bird's tall stance!) I'm glad you think that the portrait version worked well!

You're quite right, I should have given a bit more room in FRONT of it... (to "walk into")... thanks for the great tip!

So are herons and egrets related / family ? (any zoologists out there?!)

Regards

Paul
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:40 AM   #5

woops. sorry. i meant to agree that it is a great egret. i typed it in wrong. *bonk*
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:07 PM   #6

Royce10,

Thanks for confirming that it IS a great egret!

I'll have to keep my eye out for more photo opportunities of this magnificent bird... and of course share them...

I'll keep practising.

Regards, and have a great day!

Paul