Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:06 PM   #1

An Unseen Flying Object

While reviewing older photos I came upon this picture of a little wasp whichhad beenunseen in the viewfinderas it traversedthe field of view while I was concentrating on photographing the flowers. I have no idea what it is, except that it is very small (see the Argentine ants on the flower for size comparison). The flower is on a giant South American milkweed, Asclepias physocarpa,marked on the nursery tagas the "Family Jewels tree" The larger of our twospecimens is about 8 feet tall and still growing (the other lags at 6 feet). I have been unable to get a decently sharp picture of the flowers, which are pendant rather than erect like other milkweeds, and photograph with an unusually "soft" out-of-focus appearance. The plant produces round seed pods which hang in pairs. There is a more earthy name for the plant in the nursery trade, but I will leave that to your imagination. Ours are not setting seed well, so far producing only a couple of single pods, probably due to the lack of a suitable pollinator. We have not seen them visited by butterflies, and the only things we have seen entering the nectaries are the ants. Monarchs lay eggs on the leaves, and the caterpillars eat the largeleaves voraciously, but the butterflies prefer to feed on the other milkweeds. Aphids like them, too, unfortunately.

The picture is not great, but I thought it amusing enough to post. Pentax K10D, Tamron 70-300 LD Macro @ 300MM, 1/350 sec, F5.6, ISO100. Hand held, availabe light.

Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:51 PM   #2

cool find penolta. sometimes you just never know what you might find in your old shots.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:29 AM   #3

What a great surprise!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:45 PM   #4

That is a fun surprise. You done did gooood finding this one.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:55 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. I still laugh when I think of how surprised I was to see it there suspended in midair with no visible means of support (its rapidly beating wings are just a faint blur around its head).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote