Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:06 PM   #11

Hey thanks for the info on the 80-400. There's nothing like first hand knowledge.
Although I appreciate the offer, I am going to have to decline :G I have so much to learn about this new camera, it's just to darn much fun right now.
Thanks again for your advice,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:36 PM   #12

Steve a mighty nice series. Don't forget to posts tomorrows photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:05 PM   #13

I love the last one but all are very cool. The last one just has a quality of expression from the bird.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. The above sounds kind of hokey to me but oh well.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:06 PM   #14

Thanks Roger,

Don't worry I will. I just hope the wind dies down a little.
Today I saw something I have never seen before. A Golden Eagle chasing a Bald Eagle and both were being harassed by a trio of Ravens. I tried to capture it but, it was over 1/2 a mile away. It was sure a strange site.

Till tomorrow,
Steve
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:23 AM   #15

oh man. you are killing me steve. i've been looking for a northern harrier to shoot FOREVER!!! i love that ring around their face. shot #2 is my favorite. you had some awesome light to shoot with on that day. congrats on your d300. i expect more pics in the near future.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:09 PM   #16

She's got her eye on you, too. The closest shot I ever got of one of these was the south end going North over a parking lot - otherwise they have always been too far away, even with a 500.

Nice series.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:18 PM   #17

Beautiful captures Steve. The colours are amazing! My favourite is definitely the flight shot.

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:30 PM   #18
KEM

Steve,

Excellent shots of that Harrier and congrats on the D300. I'm in total agreement with Buzzsaw about the 80-400mm in regards to focus speed and BIF shots....and also about swapping my D200 :G.

I have the 80-400 and it spends most of its time on the shelf. Its a great lens for a walk around but not the best for wildlife.

I noticed you used an ISO of 500 on that first BIF shot which gave you a 1/250 shutter speed...a little slowfor BIF shots. That D300 is all about high ISO my man... open her up and lets see what she can do.

-Kent

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Apparently it greatly reduces one of the biggest knocks on that lens, slow AF. I may have to give it a try. I was saving for a 200-400VR f/4 but if the AF complaints are extinguished with the D300 I may have to reconsider. The 80-400 is hand hold-able, and about $3500 cheaper. Two very strong arguments. :G
All the best,
Steve

I had that 80-400mm VR lens and it is screw driven and super slow, there is no way the D300 will make it fast enough to be an acceptable bird in flight type of lens, trust me. There is a world of difference between the lenses you speak of and remember you get what you pay for. (usually anyways)

Nice shots, Steve! I want your camera! How about I send you my D200 and a few bucks and we call it even? :-)
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:58 PM   #19

Thank you very much everyone for your nice words of encouragement. Kent, I was fiddling around with the settings, you know trying everything out, I didn't realize that I had left it set to Aperture Mode. Your right 1/250 w/ a 500mm lens is way to slow. I am amazed I got a shot as decent as I did. Today, I made sure I was shooting in Shutter Priority Mode and had it cranked to /1250 for BIF shots.... and pretty much everything else.

hung, This has been the most allusive bird I've tried to capture. The way they hunt makes it near impossible to predict where they are going to be. It was always hit of miss with mostly misses until yesterday. I just lucked out that this female decided to pass right in front of my window and then land 20 yards away. I was so excited I could hardly hold the lens still. :G

Thanks again all,