Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:01 AM   #11

Roger, these are just great as they are - you captured it as it is. A wonderful wintery mood, well exposed. As for the animal subjects, I particularly like the pronking Mule Deer in #2 - that bouncy, bounding gait with all four legs in the air at once tickles me whenever I see it, and they do it a lot.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:16 PM   #12

Agree with all posters - amazing detail and I love the deer and elk. Taken with your new camera? Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:38 PM   #13

flutelady wrote:
Quote:
Stunning and beautiful photos.
Thanks so much for the nice comment flutelady.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:41 PM   #14

David French wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shots.

So you have any tips for usign your camera out in that kind of weather? It seems to me that it would be a good idea to let your camera sit in the cold in its bag for a hour or so before shooting and do the same when bringing it in to avoid condensation. Do you do that? How's your camera holding up?
Probably not a good idea for most folks but I leave my camera stuff in my camera wagon so all the gear is adjusted to what ever the weather is. I also wear a rain suit over my other cloths when weather is coming down to keep thigs dry. The system is not out in the moisture but for a few quick bursts and since I use a BushHawk there is very little time in being ready to get the shot.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:43 PM   #15

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Wow, shots 6, 7, and 8 are just unbelievable as far as the foreground being separate from the sky. I thought I was wrong about the PP work but in 6 I thought I could see a black outline around the trees. Also the grey sky sure doesnt match the sunlit scene. Just an incredible weather pattern and equally incredible photo captures.
Thanks Bynx, but what ever happened is cuz the camera did it I use Auto all the time for everything.

Both scenes were a few miles apart and different weather with in a few miles in the Rocky Mountains is not unusual.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:44 PM   #16

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Roger, these are just great as they are - you captured it as it is. A wonderful wintery mood, well exposed. As for the animal subjects, I particularly like the pronking Mule Deer in #2 - that bouncy, bounding gait with all four legs in the air at once tickles me whenever I see it, and they do it a lot.
I also like to see them with all 4 legs in the air. I call it a deer bounce.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:44 PM   #17

Holy crap, I just looked at the BushHawk. Wild! I can't see the advantage just by looking at it, butI'd love to hear you talk about it if you wouldn't mind.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:01 PM   #18

fishguy wrote:
Quote:
Agree with all posters - amazing detail and I love the deer and elk. Taken with your new camera? Dan
The report on the Mark 3 just came out today and I haven't read it yet. I have been concerned about the focus problem and before I spend that kind of money I want to be comfortable with the idea it is fixed.

The report

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:18 PM   #19

David French wrote:
Quote:
Holy crap, I just looked at the BushHawk. Wild! I can't see the advantage just by looking at it, butI'd love to hear you talk about it if you wouldn't mind.
I will try and explain.

It probably is a immediate 100% better results for someone that is use to using a rifle or shotgun. No learning curve to find the animal or flying bird cuz they already know how to do that.

The other advantage is by pulling it tight into your shoulder you are much steadier. You can set it down against logs, rocks or what ever is available to make it even more steady.

I have a monopod I use as a walking stick on long hikes or steep climbs and if you want when you get to where you are going you can attach it to the monopod.

Borrow a rifle or if you have one try throwing it up to your shoulder and see how fast you can get on a subject. After a few tries you should notice it is much faster than just using the camera. BIF's for me since the BushHawk keepers have more than tripled.

I hope this helps.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:24 PM   #20

Very cool, I think I get it now. Thanks for explaining.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote