Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:29 PM   #1

this little fella showed up on my back porch with a peanut in his mouth... no idea where he got it, or why he brought it up on my deck, but he seemed quite intent on sticking around the house, at least till one of my cats discovered him and he ran off... 40D, 100-400L @ 250mm, 1/125 @ f/5...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:04 PM   #2

Nice capture of a cure little critter.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:27 PM   #3

I like your DOF on this shot and the slight angle away from horizontal adds to the effect of the shot, imo. It's buckled up little front claws are additions to the cuteness,.Cute little guy, in my own experiences with this critter I am usually either shaking my fist at it or loving it to death. It's a fun subject, nice job.

PS -smac seems to think it's one of those "doctor" squirrels, the ones that "cure" Sorry smac, I couldn't resist :-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:32 AM   #4

Hi Squirl033,

Lovely photo. Yes, this litttle fella certainly posed PERFECTLY for you! Probably he knew your steve's forum name and thought you needed a new squirrel photo to add to your harddrive and share with us!

Great capture too... bokeh is nice. Interesting how he had brought a peanut to a porch to, I'd have thought a squirrel would have taken it up a tree first off to devour? (or have I just watched too many cartoons!)? :-)

By the way, you have the Canon 100-400L lens now, or were you just borrowing that? What happened to your Sigma 80-400 OS lens?

Hope your cat didn't scare the squirrel too much, otherwise he might have told his friends never to visit your porch again.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:26 AM   #5

thanks, Paul. yeah,i have a 100-400L now. still have the Sigma, but i've been having trouble with it producing intermittent "error 01" messages when the stabilizer is turned on. i sent it in for service three times, they couldn't fix it, and it does it with both my 30D and my 40D, so i'm guessing it's probably not the camera... anyway, i picked up a year-old 100-400L on ebay for $975, which is a lot cheaper than they sell for new. so far, i like the fast focus on the Canon, but the jury's still out on whether or not it's as sharp as the Sigma... won't really know till i get a chance to try it in some good light, and i may not get that till spring!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:03 PM   #6

Very cute photo, great capture.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote