Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:42 PM   #1

17 Below Zero ( F ) Hunting Elk

A little bit NIPPIE this morning. I went to a ranch I call the Divide. It is located on both sides of the Continental Divide.

When I got to the ranch gate it was Minus 10

A better look

I had about a mile to go down in a valley to get where I wanted to be and figured down in the valley it would probably get a little colder. YUP!!! I was right.

I found some elk moving thru the timber

I have to get to the next ridge so I can try for some close ups.

A nice young Bull

I used a cow call to get them to stop.

I noticed a couple of cows up above the two bulls.

The other Bull.

I know this is not a controlled scientific test for using the Canon Mark 3 & the Pentax K10D in cold weather. It is the two cameras being used out in the field in cold weather. I really didn't notice any difference in the way they handled. I did have fresh charged batteries in both cameras. I was out of the camera wagon for 20 to 30 minutes so the cameras I think had a chance to be affected by the temperature but IMHO they didn't seem to mind.

If you notice anything unusual about the photos that could of been caused by the temperature please point it out. The EXIF data is available on the individual photos but not the photos with a insert.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2

I always enjoy your "story telling" format, Roger, this series being no exception. I really helps to clarify your shooting area. I'm used to cold temperatures up here at this time of year but you are whooping my butt with that -17. Funny thing, here in Alberta, Canada the temperature in my area was "17" as well, but "plus" 17 Farenheit or -8 Celcius. However, we still had some of that nifty frost covering today. Hopefully it will continue tomorrow and I may get out and do some more "frost" shooting. Cheers.

PS - those Elk are beautiful
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:04 AM   #3

you done did it again, Roger... you always manage to find the critters, no matter what the weather is! it's clear the new setup is working well for you... those elk shots are excellent! oh, and by the way... congrats onanother POTD at photographyvoice.com!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:06 AM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I always enjoy your "story telling" format, Roger, this series being no exception. I really helps to clarify your shooting area. I'm used to cold temperatures up here at this time of year but you are whooping my butt with that -17. Funny thing, here in Alberta, Canada the temperature in my area was "17" as well, but "plus" 17 Farenheit or -8 Celcius. However, we still had some of that nifty frost covering today. Hopefully it will continue tomorrow and I may get out and do some more "frost" shooting. Cheers.

PS - those Elk are beautiful
Don't forget to post the FROST photos. Thanks for the kind words about my photos.

Wacky roger
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:07 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
you done did it again, Roger... you always manage to find the critters, no matter what the weather is! it's clear the new setup is working well for you... those elk shots are excellent! oh, and by the way... congrats onanother POTD at photographyvoice.com!
Rocky, thaks for the info on the POD. I think as soon as I get comfortable with the new outfit I am going to really like the two camera set up.

Wacky roger
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:21 PM   #6

Very regal and beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:26 PM   #7

flutelady wrote:
Quote:
Very regal and beautiful photos.
flutelady thank you for the nice comment.

Wacky roger
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:18 PM   #8

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ok i'll stop complaining about how "cold" it is here when i got out shooting. i'm too embarressed to even mention the temperature. ahem. anyways, awesome buck shots. i like the contrast of the new lens. how are you adjusting to shooting with a tripod? do you have to plan your shots even more since you are less mobile compared to your last set up? happy new years wacky roger. stay warm!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote