Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:22 PM   #1

Attached Images

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:22 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:22 PM   #3

nice work ellen. you have quite an assortment of herons at your local pond. impressive. i like the pose of the great egret. just becareful of blowing out white highlights when shooting in bright light on a bird like that. very easy to do. it happens to me all the time. can your adjust your exposure compensation to -1? that should help some.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4

thanks, hung. i hate having the whites blown out by the light but it is an issue when the light is coming from a side instead of overhead. i have the exposure set at -2/3. i reset it to -1. should i go further? tia

yeah, i love the herons. i do not know how many are here but they often pose nicely for me.

ellen fl

Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:50 PM   #5

on that bird with that strong of a sidelight you are probably going to have to go further and even stop down the apeture. those great egrets are like big white reflectors. after you shoot it, check your histogram and see if your highlights are too far to the right. with a wading bird like this, it should give you plenty of time to shooting, check the histogram, adjust settings, and shoot again.

- hung

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
thanks, hung. i hate having the whites blown out by the light but it is an issue when the light is coming from a side instead of overhead. i have the exposure set at -2/3. i reset it to -1. should i go further? tia

yeah, i love the herons. i do not know how many are here but they often pose nicely for me.

ellen fl

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6

Nice shooting. Really like the first shot Ellen. If you're having a lot of trouble with the whites blowing out, try spot metering. It can be effective for these all white subjects...cheers..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote