Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:50 PM   #1

I don't use the 200/1.8 near enough but decided to take it out today because the light was low and a thin fog covered the area. I was pleased to have a Blue Jay come near since I rarely have this happen in the area, perhaps once or twice a year.

All below shot with 200/1.8 on Mark III with an aperture of F/3.5; I also used a 12mm tube for closer minimum focus. All shots were taken from the vehicle as it's quite frosty in my location at the moment.

Thanks for visiting.

I liked the result of the F/3.5 on this close shot focus on the head with the latter two thirds of the bird blurring off.

The bird turned so that I could get a focused profile of most of the body at this aperture, which was a nice treat for me.

This is perhaps one of my favorite chickadee shots to date primarily because of the elongated attitude this bird is taking as it stretches in order to peek over an obstruction in search of threats.

I appreciated the way the lens seemed to pick up cheek detail even when set to JPG

Some winging it

On the edge of a cone limb

Playing helicopter

Stretching

Cheers!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2

good stuff, Norm, as usual! :Gi think that lens agrees with you. i'm afraid i couldn't use anything that short around here... i almost never get close enough to chickadees and the like to get away with "just" a 200...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Great series Norm. I really like the 2nd shot of the Blue Jay. We don't see those out here. And the Chickadee with the big stretch. These little guys are too cute.
Was the first Blue Jay shot at very high ISO? I think I see some chroma noise. Outstanding detail if it is at high ISO. The Mark III really performs. I think I'll start saving.......cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
good stuff, Norm, as usual! :Gi think that lens agrees with you. i'm afraid i couldn't use anything that short around here... i almost never get close enough to chickadees and the like to get away with "just" a 200...
I agree, buddy, everyone has their own style of shooting, and I simply wouldn't have much use for a 500 prime as much as I'd love to have one. I even needed to use a 12mm tube to get some of the shots here. The 200/1.8 is a super fast focuser and I wouldn't have even attempted to get any "action" shots with any of my other lenses except perhaps the 135, but that's getting a bit light on distance, even for what I shoot. Thanks for your comment, always love to hear from you!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:02 PM   #5

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Great series Norm. I really like the 2nd shot of the Blue Jay. We don't see those out here. And the Chickadee with the big stretch. These little guys are too cute.
Was the first Blue Jay shot at very high ISO? I think I see some chroma noise. Outstanding detail if it is at high ISO. The Mark III really performs. I think I'll start saving.......cheers...Don
Thanks for both comment and question K! Definitely had some chroma noise on that shot as it's almost a 50% crop and the ISO was 1600. Here's the original, uncropped, so you can compare. I probably cropped the bird too much but that was excitement at the guy landing so close :-)

Hope this helps

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:52 PM   #6
KEM

Beautifull shots Norm. The second shot of the Blue jay is outstanding. I can picture this shot on a Calendar for the month of December. I'm amazed at the detail you're able to capture with that camera.. you're eye for composition really put that shot over the top. They're all great shots but that one really does it for me.

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:52 AM   #7

Fabuous shots, Norm!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:26 AM   #8

Agree with everyone - wonderful shots. I thought the 1st shot of the BJ was cool - up close and personal but I agree with you that it was maybe cropped a little too tight. As to the chickadees, I don't think I've ever seen so many successful frozen in flight shots; really helps me to appreciate the beauty of those little winged wonders. Happy shooting in 08! :|Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:14 AM   #9

Great shots again Norm! The second Jay and last Chickadee are standouts in my opinion.

Cheers

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:33 AM   #10

Its kinda funny. I didnt check info before I looked in here. When I saw the pics I said they must be Norms. Sure enough. Nice to be able to identify someone by a photo of something completely different like a small grey white and black bird. Good going Norm.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote