Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:38 PM   #11

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
I concur about the weather. It absolutely sucks this year. We've had 2 days in the last month where the sun came out briefly....all part of living in our neck of the woods.
which is why i will be departing this area as soon as i retire! perhaps even before, depending on how things go... i am unbelievably sick of the gray, dreary, wet, gloomy days we get between November and April. i've lived in this area all my life, and it's finally time for a change...
Pretty gloomy around here right now, too, but it won't last. That is a super photo, but what is he doing displaying and singing (if you can call it that) right now? Doesn't that idiot bird know it is the middle ofWinter? He is getting an early start on Spring!

That weather is themain thing that kept me from your part of theworld (I was once invited to apply for a position at UBC, but rejected the possibility out of hand). Ilater attended a convention in Seattle at this verytime of year and contracted the Chicken Pox for my trouble -- and at age 40 that was no fun!! It is beautiful country, but you can have it (at least in winter)! If you come down this way when you give it up, look us up - plenty of photo ops around here, too.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:06 AM   #12

smac wrote:
Quote:
Nice work in difficult conditions. I like the unusual pose.
Say, have you even been up to the Skagit River Bald Eagle Festival? I understand that the Skagit River near Mt. Baker is one of the best places in the lower 48 for observing wintering Bald Eagles. I have never been but I think I would like to plan a trip sometime.

Steve
yeah, the Skagit Flats (where the river empties into the Sound) and the river itself, between the towns of Concrete and Marblemount, are very popular places to view eagles. there are a lot of them there between December and the end of February or so. i was up at the flats a few weeks ago, not mucn there. there were eagles along the river upstream, but the weather socked in and i couldn't get any shots...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:14 AM   #13

nice shot, beautiful looking bird
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:08 AM   #14

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
...so i settled for this... at least he's got some color! 40D, 100-400L @ 400mm, 1/320 @ f/8. ISO800. needed a bit of NR...
I would "settle for this" anytime. We don't get RWBB's around here, and I think they're a beautiful bird. This is a terrific shot. I' not sure I've ever seen a shot in which the color banding on the wing is so prominently displayed

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:46 AM   #15

love this shot!
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:44 AM   #16

Rocky, thanks for this photo... out here the RWBB is a harbinger of Spring. We won't see them in any numbers until April.

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
...I don't know how you guys have kept your sanity in wintertime.
Sabine, what makes you think we've kept our sanity :crazy::?:angry:?? Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:33 AM   #17

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
I concur about the weather. It absolutely sucks this year. We've had 2 days in the last month where the sun came out briefly....all part of living in our neck of the woods.
which is why i will be departing this area as soon as i retire! perhaps even before, depending on how things go... i am unbelievably sick of the gray, dreary, wet, gloomy days we get between November and April. i've lived in this area all my life, and it's finally time for a change...
I hear you Rocky. I'd love to make a move to sunnier climes too...just east of the Coast Mountains and it's a semi arid desert...could be my move someday...cheers..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote