Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:07 PM   #1

had a bad case of cabin fever today, sick of being cooped up inside by the crappy weather, so even though the light was atrocious, i took a walk at the park. not much going on, and with the gray, miserable weather, i didn't even attempt many shots, but the RWBBs were singing their fool heads off, so i figured i'd try to get one. this fella was the closest, but the little brat wouldn't turn around, so i settled for this... at least he's got some color! 40D, 100-400L @ 400mm, 1/320 @ f/8. ISO800. needed a bit of NR...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:18 PM   #2

This is a great shot Rocky! I love how you've caught all the markings in one go. Too bad the little blighter wouldn't turn around for you, but you've got a great shot anyway.

I concur about the weather. It absolutely sucks this year. We've had 2 days in the last month where the sun came out briefly....all part of living in our neck of the woods. I have some cabin fever too. Going out tomorrow no matter what.......cheers..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:20 PM   #3

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:41 PM   #4
KEM

Excellent featherdefinition on the back of the RWBB. Nice job!

I agree about the weather this year. All my regularhaunts are either under water or just to muddy to walk in. Oh well, atleast I can work on my flash techniques at the feeder ... :whack:
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:43 PM   #5

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
I concur about the weather. It absolutely sucks this year. We've had 2 days in the last month where the sun came out briefly....all part of living in our neck of the woods.
which is why i will be departing this area as soon as i retire! perhaps even before, depending on how things go... i am unbelievably sick of the gray, dreary, wet, gloomy days we get between November and April. i've lived in this area all my life, and it's finally time for a change...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:03 PM   #6

Nice details and colors, despite the lousy weather. I get tired of overcast around here at times.....but I don't know how you guys have kept your sanity in wintertime.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:38 PM   #7

this is a fantastic shot rocky. rich details on the feathers and subtle color tones. super sharp and contrasty. clean separation from the background. even though it was grey out, i think that the sky acted like a big diffuser and really softened up the light. you did a great job with this one.

it doesn't rain much here in southern california but this weekend it's been pouring. so i'm cooped up too. hahahahah.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:14 PM   #8

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
...I don't know how you guys have kept your sanity in wintertime.
to be honest, sometimes i wonder myself!! :?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:15 PM   #9

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
this is a fantastic shot rocky. rich details on the feathers and subtle color tones. super sharp and contrasty. clean separation from the background. even though it was grey out, i think that the sky acted like a big diffuser and really softened up the light. you did a great job with this one.

it doesn't rain much here in southern california but this weekend it's been pouring. so i'm cooped up too. hahahahah.

- hung
thanks, Hung... i appreciate the kind comments! :G
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:21 PM   #10

Nice work in difficult conditions. I like the unusual pose.
Say, have you even been up to the Skagit River Bald Eagle Festival? I understand that the Skagit River near Mt. Baker is one of the best places in the lower 48 for observing wintering Bald Eagles. I have never been but I think I would like to plan a trip sometime.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote