Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:51 PM   #1

thanks
Attached Images

Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2

I believe Sabine correctly identified your first image of this bird as a Pine Warbler. Very nice photos, Donna --I saw many of these in the East; since I moved West I haven't seen onein quite a while (very rare out here), so my memory may not be too accurate,butI wonder if the color might not be a bit too intense (could be my monitor, but I don't think so)?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:15 AM   #3

such a cute little bird, beautiful shot Donna
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:46 AM   #4

penolta wrote:
Quote:
I believe Sabine correctly identified your first image of this bird as a Pine Warbler. Very nice photos, Donna --I saw many of these in the East; since I moved West I haven't seen onein quite a while (very rare out here), so my memory may not be too accurate,butI wonder if the color might not be a bit too intense (could be my monitor, but I don't think so)?

Penolta, I'm still very much learning my bird identification techniques, so be patient with me. What would keep this from being a yellow-thrated vireo? I've consulted three different guides, and wre it not for you and Sabine's more educated identification, that's how I would have pegged.

(Not tryhing to be argumentative, but I have seen several birds very similar and am trying to learn to differentiate)

Very nice shot, Donna.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:50 AM   #5

the warble was that yellow, I know it looks intense, but I didn't up the yellow one bit thanks
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:01 AM   #6

I know the yellow is not that bright in the field guides but most I see here are a lot more yellow than the illustrations.

Paul.....penolta can give a way moreeducated opinion but the differences I can see are.....the longer thinner bill---light streaking on the sides--a more rounded head than the Vireo. And at least in the field guides, the transition from the yellow breast to aclean white belly on the Vireo. They do look similiar!
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7

Ooo, that's a pretty little guy Donna! Nice shot!....cheers...Don

How are you liking the 5d Donna? Do you miss the crop factor that much when shooting wildlife or is it not all that noticeable in the final outcome after cropping etc....thanks...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:51 AM   #8

love the look of the files on the 5d...lens not as long but that is fine for portraits. not as fast, but I tend to just do the birds around my feeders and 3fps is enough, if not, I kept the 30d for speed and more length.

thanks all for comments
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Penolta, I'm still very much learning my bird identification techniques, so be patient with me. What would keep this from being a yellow-thrated vireo? I've consulted three different guides, and wre it not for you and Sabine's more educated identification, that's how I would have pegged.

(Not tryhing to be argumentative, but I have seen several birds very similar and am trying to learn to differentiate)

Sabine summarizedthe differencespretty well. Vireos and warblers are somewhat similar and there area few species that can be confused. With bird ID, there are many subtleties that are hard to put into words, and which come only with experience. There are also differences which you can't easily see - in addition to the bills of vireos not being as acute (sharp and evenly tapered) as those of warblers there is also a small notch near the end of the bill (a technical difference best seen in the hand). There are behavioral differences as well, with vireos ingeneral not being quite as agile and quick in their movements as warblers, and as more focused gleaners, tend to "lurk" more in the foliage. Field guides are indispensible, but have their shortcomings - those that have paintings can have inconsistencies and inaccuracies in color reproduction, both from oneauthor's guide to another (which Sabine has referred to in the other thread), and even from one copy or printing of the same edition to another. Field guides also, because of cost and space restraints, cannot show all plumage variations (age, sex, seasonal, geographic, individual, etc.) - the name "guide" is just that - they can only guide usersin the direction ofthe correct identification, not hand it to them with certainty especially where similar species are involved. Sometimes it is easy, and sometimes it can be a challenge - that is what draws people to the hobby - there isseldom a dull moment..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote