Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:26 PM   #1

Pronghorn - Antilocapra americana

Entirely unique on this planet, the Pronghorn's scientific name, Antilocapra americana, means "American antelope goat." But the deer-like Pronghorn is neither antelope nor goat -- it is the sole surviving member of an ancient family dating back 20 million years.
The Pronghorn is the only animal in the world with branched horns (not antlers) and the only animal in the world to shed its horns, as if they were antlers. The Pronghorn, like sheep and goats, has a gall bladder, and like giraffes, lacks dewclaws. If that weren't enough, the Pronghorn is the fastest animal in the western hemisphere, running in 20-foot bounds at up to 60 miles per hour. Unlike the Cheetah, speedburner of the African plains, the Pronghorn can run for hours at quite a fast pace. They are very curious animals and you can use this to your advantage to get a few photo opportunities.

Where I found them with a close up.

A few from the herd.

Wacky roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:45 PM   #2

Good captures, Roger. I like the Pronghorn, they are an interesting animal.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:33 PM   #3

Great photos, Thank you for the great information on the Pronghorn. That is a beautiful animal.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:17 PM   #4

Nice photos Roger! Many years ago when I lived in Calgary I recall seeing them dot the far fields at times when I'd be driving through the foothills. When they got it in high gear I was just amazed at how fast these things could move. Thanks. Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:51 PM   #5

outstanding shots, as usual, Roger! and thanks for the information... i'd always thought pronghorns were... well, antelope! i'm mired in the photographers' nightmare of gray, dreary, gloomy and wet up here... it's enough to make a fellow take up needlepoint! well, not really... :?but it's definitely been a big-time loser of a winter this year... i spend most of my time plotting my vacation this spring to visit that scenic stretch of land between Bryce Canyon and the Arches... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the background information and excellent pictures Roger. Did you use your new equipment for these shots?

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:57 PM   #7

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
Good captures, Roger. I like the Pronghorn, they are an interesting animal.
Thanks for the kind words Sabine. They are really fun IMHO to watch run.

Wacky roger

Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:59 PM   #8

flutelady wrote:
Quote:
Great photos, Thank you for the great information on the Pronghorn. That is a beautiful animal.
thank you flutelady for the nice comment. In a lot of ways they are different than the other wildlife in this area. Sometimes they seem very mellow and the next day a burst of wind will get them to panic and run away full blast.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:03 PM   #9

fishguy wrote:
Quote:
Nice photos Roger! Many years ago when I lived in Calgary I recall seeing them dot the far fields at times when I'd be driving through the foothills. When they got it in high gear I was just amazed at how fast these things could move. Thanks. Dan
Hi Dan, you are right they are fast and fast at the start not only after they get going.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:05 PM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
outstanding shots, as usual, Roger! and thanks for the information... i'd always thought pronghorns were... well, antelope! i'm mired in the photographers' nightmare of gray, dreary, gloomy and wet up here... it's enough to make a fellow take up needlepoint! well, not really... :?but it's definitely been a big-time loser of a winter this year... i spend most of my time plotting my vacation this spring to visit that scenic stretch of land between Bryce Canyon and the Arches... :G
Sorry to hear about your bad for photos weather. If I had Mother Natures phone number I would call asnd ask her to change it for you.

Think about a couple of days in Chama on your vacation and we can try and fill a few memory cards.

Wacky roger