Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:06 PM   #11

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Roger, you da man! Stick to your guns and your principles, no matter what the result.

Now, take the toque off when you shoot near air force bases or public airports, apparently some are mistaking it for a turban :-)

As for the shots, well worth the effort, excellent work!
:-) thanks for making me work I had to look up that toque thing. "chef's tall white hat"

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:19 PM   #12

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Roger, you da man! Stick to your guns and your principles, no matter what the result.

Now, take the toque off when you shoot near air force bases or public airports, apparently some are mistaking it for a turban :-)

:-) thanks for making me work I had to look up that toque thing. "chef's tall white hat"

Wacky roger
Or...the Northern way to keep the kopf nice and warm, we kanucks love our togues, and the ones made out of polar bear fur are the best :lol: I simply had to make you work a bit Roger, you seem too content in your retirement these days. :blah:

Great story, wish I would have been there with my video camera to shoot an episode for "Cops" down there and "To Serve and Protect" up here in my area. :P
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:08 PM   #13

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
Normcar wrote:
Quote:

Wacky roger
Or...the Northern way to keep the kopf nice and warm, we kanucks love our togues, and the ones made out of polar bear fur are the best :lol: I simply had to make you work a bit Roger, you seem too content in your retirement these days. :blah:

Great story, wish I would have been there with my video camera to shoot an episode for "Cops" down there and "To Serve and Protect" up here in my area. :P
Lets see if I get this ??? The two of us together both with cameras. YUP!!! I am sure we probably would still be in jail. The good thing is after we got out of jail we could use your video to make a reality show and we would be rich.

Sound like a gooood idea to me.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:33 AM   #14

Boy I'm glad you didn't delete those shots they are beautiful. On the one hand I am glad that someone was actually patrolling and watching out for the base. On the other hand I am even more glad you protected your rights and did it clamly, but firmly and guess what cooler heads prevailed. Good job and great photos.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:14 PM   #15

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Roger, you are not the first - and won't be the last - to run afoul of MP's or SP's around military bases. Photographers (and birders peering into bases with their binoculars) have these problems all the time. As protected open spaces they are great for raptors, especially in urban areas. I knew a man who was even briefly jailed as a spyduring WWII for birding around a military installation!

As for the "Fence Red Tail," it ain't. It is a new species for your collection -a Ferruginous Hawk. An Easterner or Midwesterner might confuse it with "Krider's Hawk" (an uncommon light phase of the Eastern Red Tail), but that doesn't occur in the West (and the Ferruginous doesn't occur in the East). Great pictures of the bird, but now you need to go back and face the wrath of the MP's again to get a picture of the front of the bird! :lol:

And be sure to stay away from Area 51! aranoid:

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:27 PM   #16

Glad you stood your ground. Unfortunately for you if they took your license you are now officially on the homeland security watch list. Just wait until you try to board a plane.

9-11 and an overreactive administration has changed the lives of Americans forever.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:49 PM   #17

smac wrote:
Quote:
Boy I'm glad you didn't delete those shots they are beautiful. On the one hand I am glad that someone was actually patrolling and watching out for the base. On the other hand I am even more glad you protected your rights and did it clamly, but firmly and guess what cooler heads prevailed. Good job and great photos.
Steve
Thanks Steve

Wacky roger
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:51 PM   #18

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Roger, you are not the first - and won't be the last - to run afoul of MP's or SP's around military bases. Photographers (and birders peering into bases with their binoculars) have these problems all the time. As protected open spaces they are great for raptors, especially in urban areas. I knew a man who was even briefly jailed as a spyduring WWII for birding around a military installation!

As for the "Fence Red Tail," it ain't. It is a new species for your collection -a Ferruginous Hawk. An Easterner or Midwesterner might confuse it with "Krider's Hawk" (an uncommon light phase of the Eastern Red Tail), but that doesn't occur in the West (and the Ferruginous doesn't occur in the East). Great pictures of the bird, but now you need to go back and face the wrath of the MP's again to get a picture of the front of the bird! :lol:

And be sure to stay away from Area 51! aranoid:

YahHooooo, I got me a new one. Thanks Penolta for the information. Even to get a front view of the hawk going back to the city any time soon is not in my plans.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:52 PM   #19

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
Glad you stood your ground. Unfortunately for you if they took your license you are now officially on the homeland security watch list. Just wait until you try to board a plane.

9-11 and an overreactive administration has changed the lives of Americans forever.

Mike
Probably not the first list I am on.

Wacky roger