Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1

4 day elk hunt to get a keeper

Gear used: Pentax K10D with a Sigma 10-20 & a Canon 1D Mark3 with a 500mm & a 1.4 converter. Binoculars & a Spotting Scope

Three days in a row I found Bull Elk and got a few photos and never got out of the camera wagon. Sitting in the camera wagon drinking coffee and shooting at bull elk. Life is good and I sure got lucky.

These photos are from 4 days. First day I was driving around mid-morning and saw fresh elk tracks in two different spots not to far from the county road. I went about a mile on both sides of the tracks to verify they hadn't crossed the road. 2nd, 3rd & 4th days I went to the areas before daylight and waited to catch them going back into the timber to go to bed. 4th morning Thickest fog so far on this hunt. I decided I should go back the 4th day in the afternoon and wait and see if I could catch them coming out of the dark timber. YIPEE 4 days and I finally got a keeper. I think the elk called Mother Nature and asked her to make the conditions right so I would go away and stop bothering them.

Day #2

Day #3

Day #4 At daylight, thickest fog so far.

Played with one of them so you can see there really is elk there.

Day #4 evening - YIPEE 4 days and I finally got a keeper. I think the elk called Mother Nature and asked her to make the conditions right so I would go away and stop bothering them.

How did I know the 4thday in the afternoon was the time to get them ??? You can choose cuz I don't know.

1.Mental Telepathy

2. I have a phone line tap on Mother Natures phone

3. I got lucky

All the fresh track told me this is the ridge. Some of them had crossed the road from the earlier days.

With a close up

He must have a attitude, his #5 tine one one side and his #4 on the other is broke. Probably happened during the rut

A better look at his broken antlers.

About a mile down the road I found me another Bull. He also has a broke antler.

With a close up

Thanks for looking

Wacky roger

Bottom Line: Sometimes being a little stubborn and having good binoculars can get you a keeper or two.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:32 PM   #2

"Sitting in the camera wagon drinking coffee and shooting at bull elk. Life is good and I sure got lucky."

yeah, you could say that!! these are outstanding, as usual... i really love the shots of the elk standing in the snowy sagebrush on day 3... and that last one, of the elk with one antler broken off, is a keeper for sure... those guys get really screwed up when their antlers are unbalanced like that... i wonder how that one got along?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:51 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
"Sitting in the camera wagon drinking coffee and shooting at bull elk. Life is good and I sure got lucky."

yeah, you could say that!! these are outstanding, as usual... i really love the shots of the elk standing in the snowy sagebrush on day 3... and that last one, of the elk with one antler broken off, is a keeper for sure... those guys get really screwed up when their antlers are unbalanced like that... i wonder how that one got along?
Hi Rocky, I think they adjust to about anything real quick.

I am guessing but probably most folks that read the forum will never get a chance to go on a Elk hunt so I figured it would be fun to share a elk hunt with them. It would not be unusual to hunt elk for 4 days and not get close to getting a keeper.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:17 PM   #4

Great series Roger. I envy your setup of sitting, sipping, and shooting. Great stuff!!..cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:06 PM   #5

cool shots as always wacky roger. it is fun to look into your pics and try to find the subject that your close up inserts shows. i'm always amazed when i find the subject because they are so far away and tiny!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:59 AM   #6

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Great series Roger. I envy your setup of sitting, sipping, and shooting. Great stuff!!..cheers...Don
The 3 S's of Elk Hunting, sitting, sipping, and shooting. I like that THANKS

Wacky roger
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:17 PM   #7

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
cool shots as always wacky roger. it is fun to look into your pics and try to find the subject that your close up inserts shows. i'm always amazed when i find the subject because they are so far away and tiny!

- hung
The reason I started this was so my clients could show their friends and family part of their hunt. "Here is where we found the elk and then a close up after we stalked in closer." Thanks for the nice comment.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:58 PM   #8

Holy cow Roger!! (Er... I mean Elk)... what a fabulous range of photos. I really do enjoy how you show us the far away shots and then the close ups. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:10 PM   #9

fishguy wrote:
Quote:
Holy cow Roger!! (Er... I mean Elk)... what a fabulous range of photos. I really do enjoy how you show us the far away shots and then the close ups. Cheers, Dan
Dan thank you SIR for the kind comment.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:44 PM   #10

Some great side views of the big ones, Roger, nice job.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote