Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:43 PM   #1

The majority of these photos were taken last weekend just before I sent my camera in for a checkup. The last one was taken on the last day of December. I've also taken a few this week with my old digital rebel and it's sort of interesting toying with "old" technology. The worst thing is having to wait for about 3 seconds for the camera to power up :lol:

All shot with Mark III and either 100-400 or 300/4 IS in late afternoon light

One
A curious glance upwards

Two
A challenging glance straight on the money

Three
Male Downy on poplar textures

Four
Male Downy between the sheets (believe it or not, the "sheet" on the right is actually the door of my vehicle. I left it because I liked the somewhat claustrophobic effect :|

Five
Male Downy wide angle with poplar backdrop

Six
Chickadee on the run with snowy backdrop

Seven
Magpie sporting nictitating membrane

Eight
Magpie in a tree with snowy backdrop

Thanks for having a look! Cheers to all :!:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:02 PM   #2

Good detail! Lovely images. I especially like 5 - it's like he's waiting for someone and he's pissed. And six is great with the full wings. Good work.
lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:44 PM   #3

Love the Downy WP's and the Chickadees are always special. The flight shot is super! Maybe you won't have to use the "caveman" technology very long, Norm.:lol:
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:21 PM   #4

Thanks very much "lg" I sincerely appreciate you commenting. Never caught the "angry" look of the woody until you mentioned it. I agree, good eye

Sabine, I'll tell you, it's amazing how technology has made these incredible leaps and bounds in only a few years. I recall when I first purchased that Rebel only about 4 or 5 years ago, I thought that I was set for life with photography....NOT

It's definitely a challenge, especially with action photos, which is the genre' that inspired me into this folly in the first place. Now the technology is getting so unbelievable that in a few years the new cameras will probably shoot at about 30 frames per second (video frame speed) and the challenge will return to where it should remain in the first and last place, the fundamentals of composition, whether moving or not. :|
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:35 PM   #5

You might run out of wall space if you listen to me. ALL THESE NEED A FRAME.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:50 PM   #6

TWackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
You might run out of wall space if you listen to me. ALL THESE NEED A FRAME.

Wacky roger
Thanks Roger, I'll gladly trade some of my photos for the ones you are grabbing up these days. Some of those elk are "majestic" to say the least, and the terrain, with the frosty trees, amazing photographic impressions of your excellent area.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:35 PM   #7

Beautiful Norm. Love the Woodie's, and the 2nd Magpie is just super!

I agree about the technololgy. I remember my first Coolpix camera I bought cost me as much as my 30d. Lol. And then we thought the FZ's were the cat's meow (they still are excellent for a walkabout all in one), and now we're at 10fps and counting. I guess that'll be my next progression....dreaming of a Mark series. It's hard to imagine what the manufacturers have up their sleeve for the future. ISO 3200 as clean as ISO 100? It's going to be interesting the next few years.....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:01 PM   #8

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful Norm. Love the Woodie's, and the 2nd Magpie is just super!

I agree about the technololgy. I remember my first Coolpix camera I bought cost me as much as my 30d. Lol. And then we thought the FZ's were the cat's meow (they still are excellent for a walkabout all in one), and now we're at 10fps and counting. I guess that'll be my next progression....dreaming of a Mark series. It's hard to imagine what the manufacturers have up their sleeve for the future. ISO 3200 as clean as ISO 100? It's going to be interesting the next few years.....cheers...Don
No matter what the future, it's the true photographer who will impress. I've seen a ton of excellent photos from FZ to Mark, and it's the result that makes sense. Looking forward to "any" photo from "any" camera, with "any" lens, because it ain't the equipment or the lens, it's the ability of the photographer to proclaim a moment

Just kidding....NOT!!!

Thanks buddy, excellent thoughts for all of us to consider

Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:30 PM   #9

Hey -- You can't complain and put up pictures like this. All you do is prove that the photographer and the lens are more important than the camera! Sheech! Some people are never satisfied! :blah:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:28 PM   #10

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Hey -- You can't complain and put up pictures like this. All you do is prove that the photographer and the lens are more important than the camera! Sheech! Some people are never satisfied! :blah:
Thanks "P" :lol: