Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:26 AM   #1

Digiscoped this afternoon on the campus of The Chinese University of Hong Kong.

Attached Images

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:26 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:27 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:27 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:28 AM   #5

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:27 AM   #6

Excellent job on these, leung! They are all nice but the last one is super...nice pose, great detail and exposure. You are doingvery well with the digiscoping.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:38 AM   #7

Beautiful shots Leung. I love the eye on the first, but all are excellent! You really have this digiscoping down. Does it take long to setup for a shot? Seems like there would be a lot of fiddling before a taking a shot. I've seen people using this type of setup, and they always seem to be adjusting settings.....cheers..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:01 AM   #8

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
Excellent job on these, leung! They are all nice but the last one is super...nice pose, great detail and exposure. You are doingvery well with the digiscoping.
In the last one, the bird jumped upward a little bit while I was pressing the shutter, so the eye of the bulbul was slightly out of focus. What a pity! It then flew away. I also like the way she perched on the branch.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:56 AM   #9

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shots Leung. I love the eye on the first, but all are excellent! You really have this digiscoping down. Does it take long to setup for a shot? Seems like there would be a lot of fiddling before a taking a shot. I've seen people using this type of setup, and they always seem to be adjusting settings.....cheers..Don
Several things I got digiscoping for about 2 months:

1. One of the advantages of digiscopingis the reach it can offer in consideration of a mere US$7000 [Typo. Should be US$3000] I paid for the whole set up.The focal length range I am open to is from 30X28mm to 30X120mm in the case when I am using a 30x-eyepiece and a 28-132mmprosumer DC. The best zoom range to match with the 30x-eyepiece is the one from 28mm to 90mm. You usually can get good resolution from this range and further on, you need to have good support to avoid vibration which has a detrimental effect on the quality of the image if it is not properly curbed.

2. Setting up the gears is very easy and mobility is not a problem as the whole set-up is pretty light. I can carry them around for suitable locations toshoot without feeling tired despite doing so for the whole afternoon. I think this will be an advantage over the super-teleprime lenses. You have to be aPopeye to find a small bird to shoot. And the time you find them, they will have been high on the branches, out of your sight.

3. I think setting exposure is also easy provided that the adaptal ring for linking the fieldscope with the prosumer is properly alighned so the optical axis of the prosumer zoom lens and that of the fieldscopeis in agreement with each other. Slightly off the central axis, vignetting will definitely occur in the wide-angle end andthe telephoto end of the camera. This vignetting will bring about over-exposure as the dark corners will mislead the prosumer DC to increase exposureso that the final image will still be18% grey by standard.

4.I set exposure using the auto mode, making adjustment of the EV from time to time based on the scene I am shooting. It is practically infeasible, from my shallow experience, to use the manual metering mode because the image as shown on the LCD is often time unreliable inthedaylight environment for the purpose of making visualexposure judgment.

5.Locating the bird to be shot is very difficult in digiscoping. The angle of coverage for an 840mm lensis already very small, not to mention the 30X90mm. And this difficulty is even made complicated when the fieldscope is an angled one. But, once when you get the gist of locating the bird in the field, you will be in good mastery over digiscoping for the bird can be brought into focus very quickly and shooting can be done right away swiftly. The focusing is in two stages: manual focusing for the fieldscoping and auto-focusing for the zoom lens of the prosumer DC.

6. Stabilisation is essential. I use Manfrotto 393swing-type support to mount the fieldscope set-up. It offer a 360-degree mobility for searching.

7. Last, moving subjects are not digiscoping's cup of tea. But, I do feel that it offers an alternative way to shoot at a low cost and at a distance that will least alert thebird you want to capture.

Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:04 AM   #10

I really enjoy looking at this bird. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote