Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:04 PM   #1

I got my new BushHawk for my Mark3 & Canon 500mm lens.

I am posting this here cuz IMHO this is one of if not my most important tool for being out in the woods with a camera.

IMHO:

Well packed and it takes about 10 minutes and you are ready to take photos. The new model is made out of Nylon not ABS and Nylon is much stronger.

To be on the safe side I have mounted my shoulder strap directly to the Canon lens using steel split rings. I bought a rifle strap that is heavy padded for my shoulders. It took a couple of attempts to get the strap adjusted for carrying and still be able to lift up the outfit and start shooting.

The trigger is very fast to focus in fact it might be a little faster than the camera's shutter button.

I have only done a couple of short hikes so far but it feels very comfortable with the heavy padded strap and rides just fine with the camera and lens facing up not down. This set up is very fast to get to your shoulder so getting ready to shoot won't take any time at all. I have been using a BushHawk with my BIGMA for over a year now and I can tell you it is far easier (for me) to get BIF's, in fact I find it makes getting all my photos easier to get.

With the BushHawk I DO NOT use a Tripod or a Monopod but I use Natures POD's. Tree stumppod, tree limbpod, rockpod, fencepod or etc. When there is no Natural POD available I find I can hand hold it for a few bursts and then put my hand down and let my arms rest a little bit then I am ready to go again.

One thing I would strongly suggest is the The BushHawk Base & Camera Plate. This is very strong and sturdy after a years use out in the field I have never even had to make any adjustments or ever had to tighten it. No movement of the lens what so ever in any direction. The other thing that I find very helpful is the the front arm piece. The reason I like it is I can hold if firmly against my shoulder with my left hand and my right hand is for the trigger handle with one finger on the trigger and the other parts of my hand pulling the set up tightly into my shoulder.

The set up is about 24 inches long with the 500 lens and a Mark 3. It weighs about 14 pounds ready to go out and hike.

To get the idea of the total size of this set up here is a photo.

NO, I do not work for BushHawk I am just a customer, but when I have something that I rate a 10 out of a possible 10 I am happy to share my reasons.

If you want more information here is a link to the BushHawk site.

http://www.bushhawk.com/

I have my older model BushHawk with my BIGMA mounted on it and my Bigma has never been off of it. With My K10 attached to the Bigma I found getting BIF's at least twice as easy. I believe it lets the IS work better cuz there is less for it to do using the BushHawk.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:16 PM   #2

Roger I didn't see a shutter release listed for the Pentax DSLR's...do they have one? and do you have photos of you and the camera with the Bush hawk?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:32 PM   #3

Cool looking new toy, I can see how it could help out in the field.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Roger I didn't see a shutter release listed for the Pentax DSLR's...do they have one? and do you have photos of you and the camera with the Bush hawk?

Dawg
No photo of me but yes they have the shutter release for Pentax. When I ordered mine I could not figure out which one to order so I called thier toll free number and they shipped the next day.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:18 AM   #5

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Cool looking new toy, I can see how it could help out in the field.
Your right it does make things out in the woods a lot easier IMHO.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:22 PM   #6

thank you roger i have been in the market for one . i need to know what are the down falls on the use of this unit if any ??? one time i was photographing trains in a sunset had 2 cops play 20 questions with me . the next time they ran me off . i know if i had the unit on the camera they would have there guns out . they may think R.P.G. im going to blow up the train . i think for landscapes & wildlife a big plus , move fast and cover lots of ground . rick :-)
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:47 PM   #7

oakey wrote:
Quote:
thank you roger i have been in the market for one . i need to know what are the down falls on the use of this unit if any ??? one time i was photographing trains in a sunset had 2 cops play 20 questions with me . the next time they ran me off . i know if i had the unit on the camera they would have there guns out . they may think R.P.G. im going to blow up the train . i think for landscapes & wildlife a big plus , move fast and cover lots of ground . rick :-)
The only thing I suggest in addition is a good heavy padded gun strap. I have never been bothered while using the BushHawk. Since I am not in the city a lot I have only used it two times in a city. Albuquerque & Reno shooting planes. Security folks drove by and waved and did not stop or bother me.

Wacky roger