Attached Images

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:20 PM   #2

and a head shot
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:19 AM   #3

I really like the second shot. I an't wait for these guys to get back to Arkansas this spring. So far, I've seen one, flying very high over our soccer practice field.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:00 PM   #4

very nice shot of the gbh ellen. your bird photography is getting better and better. couple of general tips to keep it mind when shooting which have helped me alot are:

- the lower the angle the better. it helps to isolate the bird and gives a cleaner background
- try to keep the sunlight over our shoulder in relation to the bird. that makes for a front light subject. sidelighting and backlight can work sometimes but it is hard to expose for.
- try to focus on the eyes and keep them as sharp as possible. it really makes a huge difference in whether the shot will work or not. i like in this shot how the eyes are sharp and crisp.

keep up the great work and keep posting.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 2:14 PM   #5

thanks, paul and hung.

hung, i'm afraid i don't have much control over the direction of the light . . . unless i get into the pond with the bird! i was actually very surprised at how well these turned out considering my angle limitations.

i'm not sure what you mean by low angle but i DO try to be cognizant of backgrounds. i usually have my camera near the ground for bird shots . . . especially those walking up to me . . . which is why i insist upon an articulating live view lcd. for this bird, i am limited to being too far from my subject and on the pond's bank, which is elevated. i would sit on the ground but it's harder to scooch closer when i'm on my butt. :roll:

thanks for the tip re focusing on the eyes. i will keep that well in mind for future. i zoom in on the eyes during processing to see how in focus the pic is.

i am waiting (with NO patience) for the reviews on the new fuji s100fs that i want to get for high iso shooting ability. the camera i used for the above pics is a panasonic fz30 which is noisy at 200. however, since i went out earlier yesterday than usual, i found that this camera works pretty well with good light. i really want to get some bif shots, especially of the herons. the shot i got yesterday of this one in flight is all blur.

(the wait is killing me! i am a most impatient person.)

ellen fl