Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:50 PM   #21

KEM wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic Norm. Excellent job on exposure and sharpness as always!

-Kent

Hey, thanks Kent!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:52 PM   #22

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
impressivestuff, Norm... i really like #3 and 4... very nice indeed! how far away were you, and what lens were you using?
Thanks Squirl, I was approximately 25 feet away with the 100-400. Cheers!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:55 PM   #23

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Norm, I don't want to seem argumentative, butIf your photos werent so good, it wouldn't be possible to question the ID of the carcass:G! In any case,It wouldn't be worth pressing the point if there weren't so much interest in what it was. :P

I've no doubt whatsoever that you know what a Kingbird looks like, but I'll wager you didn'thave the opportunityto see thisbird before it was caught by the Merlin. Look closely at the wing and tail, and tell me what you think. It looks to me like there is way too much white in the wing (there shouldn't be any), and the tail is all wrong for an Eastern Kingbird (the only black and white one) which has all black tail feathers with white only at the tips (forming a terminal white band). A Snow Bunting was my first impression, and I still can't come up with anything else,but it isnot a bird a southerner like me would be very familiar with. Some woodpeckers do have white outer tail feathers, which may be why some thought it might be a Downy, but woodpecker tail feather are pointed at the tips, and their feet are different (2 toes forward and 2 backwards, instead of 3 and 1). Besides,might it stillnot be a bit early for a Kingbird to be that far North? What say you?
Hey, thanks for the input, Pen, and you bring up some interesting considerations! Here are a few thoughts and reasons why I still believe the kingbird to be my choice:

I've often seen the kingbird perched on posts at this very location and I've never seen anything else that might fit the bill
White tail band: I do believe that the tail was torn off by the Merlin during the initial battle and I believe that it actually sits next to the victim in clear view immediately under the Merlin's talon.

White in wing: Much of the white visible in the photo seems to me to be peeking through the wing and is simply fluffed up portions of the bird's belly, I'm sure resulting from the struggle.

In any event, great eye and I guess we'll never know for sure unless that ol' Merlin comes back and tells us. :?:lol:

Cheers!