Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1

1) The American Avocets are in breeding plumage now. I always forget which sex has the more curved beak.

2)

3)

4) Black Necked Stilts in flight formation

5)

6) I came upon these wild flowers on the bank of a creekbed. Anyone know what the purple flower is called? The yellow ones are mustard right?

7)

thanks for looking and commenting

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:24 PM   #2

Hung, the first one is a great shot, but the composition and flying position on number two is really amazing. The number six flower shot has great color and contrast as well a great DOF to bring your attention to the one flower in focus.

I find it hard to get good shots of groups of birds flying because of the wings being in strange positions on at least one of the group.

Just my 2 cents!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Hung, the first one is a great shot, but the composition and flying position on number two is really amazing. The number six flower shot has great color and contrast as well a great DOF to bring your attention to the one flower in focus.

I find it hard to get good shots of groups of birds flying because of the wings being in strange positions on at least one of the group.

Just my 2 cents!

Tom

Thanks Tom. Your 2 cents is always welcome and much appreciated. I find it interesting that you like #2. It was a big crop. I didn't want to crop much more which would have compromised the image quality. As it is, I didn't think there was enough details in the relatively small image of the bird against the large water background. Truthfully the only reason why I kept it and posted it was because the avocet had it's beak open which was kind of an odd capture. I'm glad you liked it.

You are very correct about grouped bird in flight shots. They are often very hard to do well because usually there is overlap of the silhouttes of the birds, one is oof or as you mentioned, one of them will probably have a weird wing position. Alot of the times when I shoot a group flight shot, I will end up focussing on the best bird and cropping or cloning the rest out.

best regards,

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:21 AM   #4

Fantastic series, Hung.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:27 AM   #5

Awesome Hung! Looks like your spring is about a month ahead of ours:-)......cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:42 AM   #6

Hung, I guess I like the second one because it isn't like all of the bird flying shots we see all the time and the quality of the image is a secondary consideration, at least to me.

I feel that our digital images can get too sharp, making the bird look more like a great computer animation instead of a photograph, but then I like the look of film. I think number two is a very nice shot and that there is nothing wrong with the image quality either.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:42 PM   #7

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
1) The American Avocets are in breeding plumage now. I always forget which sex has the more curved beak.

6) I came upon these wild flowers on the bank of a creekbed. Anyone know what the purple flower is called? The yellow ones are mustard right?
1) is female, 2) and 3) are males

6) the blue one is Lupine (native), the yellows are mustards (non-native)

Good pictures, as usual, Hung.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:23 PM   #8

what a great series! Thanks for sharing. The amount of detail is breathtaking and the flight action is well captured!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:01 AM   #9

Love the flight shots. Those Avocets and Stilts look like they are ready to breed. It won't be long before they make their way to Alberta.

Thanks for posting.

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote