Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Tremendous!
thanks bob. i appreciate the comment.



- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

thanks kent. i always struggle to understand proper exposure. luckily these wood ducks only have a bit of white here and there amongst the darker colored feathers. i still blew some highlights here and there.technically what i did was lay out a picnic blanket on the ground near the water's edge. i just laid flat on my belly and went into sniper mode. by shooting at a real low angle, it gives you clean backgrounds and it does something to the foreground water to make it shimmery and glossy. sometimes its just not possible to lay flat because of the terrain. however in this situation since i was shooting at a park, it was ideal. you just have to watch out for all the duck poo!



- hung



KEM wrote:
Quote:
!!! Hung, excellent exposure and color saturation! Some of the best shots I've seen of a Wood duck. I really like #3 and #4 for their technical aspectsbut the unique pose really sets them apart from the rest.



-Kent

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Great stuff there Hung! Congratulations on finding these beauties. I like the call they have...kind of a high pitched wheez. ....cheers...Don
thanks don. i did notice that high pitched wheeze like call.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Buzzsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,274
Default

Congrats! I'm happy to hear stories like these as I can relate! Your exposure and sharpness are very good! Keep getting these images while their around. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,699
Default

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
thanks kent. i always struggle to understand proper exposure. luckily these wood ducks only have a bit of white here and there amongst the darker colored feathers. i still blew some highlights here and there.technically what i did was lay out a picnic blanket on the ground near the water's edge. i just laid flat on my belly and went into sniper mode. by shooting at a real low angle, it gives you clean backgrounds and it does something to the foreground water to make it shimmery and glossy. sometimes its just not possible to lay flat because of the terrain. however in this situation since i was shooting at a park, it was ideal. you just have to watch out for all the duck poo!

i was wondering how you got that nice low angle! these are superb shots, Hung... exposure is spot on, and the lighting is excellent. what lens were you using for these? i've managed a couple of half-decent woodie shots over the years, but none recently... haven't even SEEN a male woodie since about November, and then he was 80 yards away or so...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,105
Default

stunning
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:49 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

Those are great Hung, and the spring colors are just amazing.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Trigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 343
Default

Great shots Hung. What amazes me is the angle, and the looks of a personal pose just for you.



-Will
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:58 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
Congrats! I'm happy to hear stories like these as I can relate! Your exposure and sharpness are very good! Keep getting these images while their around. :-)

thanks mike! i appreciate the comments. i'm glad you enjoyed the story too.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

i was wondering how you got that nice low angle! these are superb shots, Hung... exposure is spot on, and the lighting is excellent. what lens were you using for these? i've managed a couple of half-decent woodie shots over the years, but none recently... haven't even SEEN a male woodie since about November, and then he was 80 yards away or so...
thanks rocky. i always use my canon ef 400mm f5.6 lens. i was lucky with these guys because the pond was relatively small so i got some nice close ups.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:22 PM.