Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:47 PM   #11

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
You had a great plan the results are fantastic.

Wacky roger
thanks wacky roger. i appreciate the comments!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:51 AM   #12

Quote:
if i had shot in RAW do you think that these blown highlights would have been fixable in post processing? suggestions always appreciated.

Oh heck yes! Blown highlights and white balance correction recovery/tweaking are the best two things about using RAW. I just want to re-iterate that its a lovely image and in no way am I trying to knock it... I just think if a shot is really good, I should mention any little nits to help a person make it great/better. Here is an example ofa fewI shot in RAW.

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:08 AM   #13

Hung, #1, 2 and 3 are all awesome. Glass-like for the water surface. The foreground and backgroundserene and the toneappealing. The greatest of all is the plane you shot from, which enables the size of the duck to be revealed without any distortion in it. You were so leveled with the duck that you were like swimming with them. Prime in every respect. Hung is Hung. You never let me down every time I watch your avian shots.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:56 AM   #14

Buzzsaw wrote
Quote:
Quote:

I just want to re-iterate that its a lovely image and in no way am I trying to knock it... I just think if a shot is really good, I should mention any little nits to help a person make it great/better.

oh ya. i want all the nits baby. that's why i post my shots on so many forums. just to get as much feedback on how i can improve. i always get dinged on the blown white highlights when i post on naturescapes.net and birdphotographers.net anyways. lol.
i think i just need to get a bigger memory card and start shooting RAW so i can make these post processing tweaks. thanks again. awesome ring duck shots btw.

- hung
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:58 AM   #15

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
Hung, #1, 2 and 3 are all awesome. Glass-like for the water surface. The foreground and backgroundserene and the toneappealing. The greatest of all is the plane you shot from, which enables the size of the duck to be revealed without any distortion in it. You were so leveled with the duck that you were like swimming with them. Prime in every respect. Hung is Hung. You never let me down every time I watch your avian shots.
thanks peter. i always appreciate the feedback and comments. i'm curious. do you have any mandarin ducks in hong kong? they are an asian duck correct? i think that is my all time favorite duck to photograph. i've only come across one here.

- hung
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:07 PM   #16

Outstanding photos, absolutely beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:35 PM   #17

All are great Hung, however, #3 is simply an amazing photo, imo.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:10 AM   #18

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
...i'm curious. do you have any mandarin ducks in hong kong? they are an asian duck correct? ...

- hung
Ducks, including the mandarin duck and wood ducks,fly to Hong Kong in winter times and stay on the wetland, eg the Mai Po wetland strip between Hong Kong and Shenzhen to prey. They are mostly migratory and only a few stay behind and become local species. However, we have quite some collection in the aviary. I like shooting them, too, because of the colors of their plumage as well as their funny look. A recent one I posted up here can be found here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11. Mine are always static, unlikeyours which are action-packed.We can view the ducks from a top-down elevation mainly, so it is hardly possible for us to get shots like yours, so close to the water level.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:44 AM   #19

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
royce10 wrote:
Quote:
...i'm curious. do you have any mandarin ducks in hong kong? they are an asian duck correct? ...

- hung
Ducks, including the mandarin duck and wood ducks,fly to Hong Kong in winter times and stay on the wetland, eg the Mai Po wetland strip between Hong Kong and Shenzhen to prey. They are mostly migratory and only a few stay behind and become local species. However, we have quite some collection in the aviary. I like shooting them, too, because of the colors of their plumage as well as their funny look. A recent one I posted up here can be found here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11. Mine are always static, unlikeyours which are action-packed.We can view the ducks from a top-down elevation mainly, so it is hardly possible for us to get shots like yours, so close to the water level.
Hrm. I wonder if we are talking about different ducks. I took a look at your link. The Mandarin duck doesn't look like my Mandaran duck. The Mandarin duck that I am referring to looks like this.

It is my favorite duck to photograph. I took this shot last year when I was still using my sigma 70-300mm apo dg macro lens.

- Hung
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:45 AM   #20

thanks flutelady and norm. you comments are always appreciated.

- hung