Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:33 PM   #1

In a local weekly newspaper published today, a regular nature/conservation feature was illustrated by two photos credited to "Sam Hung" (whom I assume is "our" Hung). One of these was of an Elegant Tern carrying a fish to its nest on a nesting island in Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, one of the handful of nesting colonies of this bird north of Mexico (the colony shown in my avatar). They can regularly be seen from the boardwalk shuttling back and forth from their colony.

The other photo was of birds seldom photographed - a pair of jousting Surfbirds - this is a truly outstanding picture which I hope he will post here for you all to see. Surf birds nest high up on mountains in Alaska and winter along the rocky coasts of the Pacific Ocean, thus being inaccessable to, andnot oftenseen bybirders, and even more rarely photographed by any but the most dedicated of photographers. Recently a migrating flock of over 400 of these birds stopped off near the newly constructed rock jetties at Bolsa Chica, and Hung apparently got pictures on the adjacent sands. Knowing how he works, he certainly got more than the one, and will post some here.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:59 AM   #2

penolta wrote:
Quote:
In a local weekly newspaper published today, a regular nature/conservation feature was illustrated by two photos credited to "Sam Hung" (whom I assume is "our" Hung). One of these was of an Elegant Tern carrying a fish to its nest on a nesting island in Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, one of the handful of nesting colonies of this bird north of Mexico (the colony shown in my avatar). They can regularly be seen from the boardwalk shuttling back and forth from their colony.

The other photo was of birds seldom photographed - a pair of jousting Surfbirds - this is a truly outstanding picture which I hope he will post here for you all to see. Surf birds nest high up on mountains in Alaska and winter along the rocky coasts of the Pacific Ocean, thus being inaccessable to, andnot oftenseen bybirders, and even more rarely photographed by any but the most dedicated of photographers. Recently a migrating flock of over 400 of these birds stopped off near the newly constructed rock jetties at Bolsa Chica, and Hung apparently got pictures on the adjacent sands. Knowing how he works, he certainly got more than the one, and will post some here.
Sorry Penolta. That wasn't me. LOL. My full name is Hung Tran. Close but no cigar my friend. I am curious to see the shots though. By chance do you have an internet link?

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3

Sorry about that - it wouldn't have been the first time a newspaper story got something wrong. Here is a link to the story, but those photographs are not included. The paper is distributed with the LATimes.

http://www.hbindependent.com/article...ural041008.txt

Here is a copy of the photo as it appeared in the newspaper. I guess anything in a newspaper is public domain. Original photo by Sam Hung (no copyright notation).
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote