Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 9, 2008, 9:21 PM   #1

i am having much better success getting tough shots since i started lugging around the dslr. i never realized how much better a dslr is compared to a superzoom. i have a 28-300 zoom on the way for this camera . . . pretty soon it will be time to upgrade the dslr!

Attached Images

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2008, 9:21 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 9, 2008, 9:22 PM   #3

down the hatch!
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2008, 6:20 AM   #4

Really nice detail, ellen. I particularly like the feather spread just below the surface of the water. These are interesting birds; I have only seen them on this forum. You must have gotten really close to be able to get this kind of detail with only 75mm focal length. What lens were you using since you indicate you've got a long lens on the way?

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 10:39 AM   #5
KEM

Wonderful shots Ellen! I'm also intrigued by the fanout ofits feathers underwater. Diving birds usually keep there feather tucked in to minimize water contact..

-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6

thanks for the comments. paul, i have a 75-300 that i have been using lately. i do not like that i have to stand back to use the 75 end of the lens. the new lens means i can get pics as the birds get closer to me.

kent, i am sure the fanning helps the bird balance itself as tries to get the fish off the skewer and down the hatch. this guy caught two fish but lost the second while juggling it to get it down.

i can actually get to within 4 feet of this bird normally. for this picture, i was standing on the wall at the head of the pond and the bird was out a ways. i never go to the pond without a zoom. these pictures are why. i took a similar picture a while ago with my superzoom but it was too noisy.

for anyone who thinks small-sensored 'bridge' cameras are just as good as dslrs, i think my pics have improved immeasurably since i switched to using my dslr . . . even tho' it does not have image stabilization!

ellen fl
Old May 10, 2008, 11:47 AM   #7

Great shots Ellen! Glad you like the dslr. There's no comparison for shooting with a dslr and a bridge camera...especially birds and wildlife. Now you'll be getting LBA - lens buying addiction..lol. Enjoy your new camera!....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 7:09 PM   #8

KEM wrote:
Quote:
I'm also intrigued by the fanout ofits feathers underwater. Diving birds usually keep there feather tucked in to minimize water contact.
[/quote]

Kent -- While it is not necessarily their only method of hunting, I have seen Anhingas slowly stalking their prey beneath the surface with wings and tail spread for stability. The kink in their neck (like that in herons) allows a swift spearing strike, often impaling the fish on the bill, so that on surfacing they must toss the fish into the air to get it off the bill and then catch it on the way down. Absolutely fascinating to watchone move underwater, especially if you can look down on it from a bridge or other high spot. Their outline coujures up images of a stealth aircraft in my mind. There is also a suggestionthat in shallow water the passsage oftheir broad shadow can spook hidden fish into moving, or attract those that normally hide beneath floating vegetation (I don't know that there is anything to either of these suggestions, but it would be something to watch for). I am on the wrong coast to seethem now, but I remember them well from my years in Florida.

Ellen, on your next attempt at photographing these birds, try using apolarizing filter (a circular one for a dslr)to eliminate surface reflections and better show whatthese birds are up tounder the surface. You are fortunate to be in a place where you have reliable access to them. Good work on these!

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 7:28 PM   #9

thanks, all.

penolta, i used to have a circular polarizer on my superzoom but took it off because it cuts the light. however, since i am not having the light issues with the dslr, i will get a polarizer for it. i do like how they penetrate the water . . . and i am almost always shooting water! i need one to get good pics of the young turtles. they do not come up out of the water yet, altho' one seems to want to.

ellen fl
Old May 17, 2008, 8:21 PM   #10

These images are pretty cool, Ellen! Nice job also. I have never seen an Anhinga, let alone one like you have here. Thanks for sharing these.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote