Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 10, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1

another series of the green heron at the park yesterday... 40D, 100-400L @ 285mm, 1/320 @ f/6.3...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 9:25 AM   #2

Wow!!! Great shots Rocky. Now it's my turn to ask how did you get so close to one of these. I've only ever seen one once, and it was skittish to say the least. Great shots you caught here.....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 10:08 AM   #3

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Wow!!! Great shots Rocky. Now it's my turn to ask how did you get so close to one of these. I've only ever seen one once, and it was skittish to say the least. Great shots you caught here.....cheers...Don
thanks, Don... most of the birds at this park - with the obvious exception of kingfishers - will let you get pretty close, if you're patientand a bit lucky. this little fellow apparently decided that it was safe enough to hunt in the shallows right next to the boardwalk, even though there were two of us there with big lenses aimed at him, and as long aswe made no sudden movements,we didn't even draw his attention. what finally made him leave was the other photographer turning to holler at his friend, "hey, come see this!" still, i've had pretty good luck with these little guys down there. now if the kingfishers would only be as cooperative!! :G
Old May 11, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
thanks, Don... most of the birds at this park - with the obvious exception of kingfishers - will let you get pretty close, if you're patientand a bit lucky. this little fellow apparently decided that it was safe enough to hunt in the shallows right next to the boardwalk, even though there were two of us there with big lenses aimed at him, and as long aswe made no sudden movements,we didn't even draw his attention. what finally made him leave was the other photographer turning to holler at his friend, "hey, come see this!" still, i've had pretty good luck with these little guys down there. now if the kingfishers would only be as cooperative!! :G
Yeah, good luck with the Kingfishers...I need about a 1200mm lens:? with a tc on it for any hope of getting one of them! Too bad the other guy scared the heron away. I could sit and watch them all day.....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 9:08 PM   #5

Wow - that's what I call catch of the day (for both of you)!

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 2:28 PM   #6

Really superb shots Rocky. I especially like the over-the-shoulder perspective. And the detail on the last shot is exquisite. Well done. Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 7:47 PM   #7

Nice action capture Rocky.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 9:30 PM   #8

thanks, Jim and Dan and Roger! i have to admit these are possibly the best green heron shots i've gotten yet... it's not that uncommon to be able to get within20 yards or so of these little guys, but geting inside20 feet is a little more difficult... i was quite fortunate that this one was so cooperative!