Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:01 AM   #1

I was out getting chowed on by mosquitos and ticks last weekend, but came away with a few "keepers". I centered this image only because I wanted to include the Lupine flower on the left hand side. Does this work?

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
v12

I love the photo, very colorful

whats lens and settings did you use?

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:37 AM   #3

fantastic shot. Love the composition
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:38 PM   #4

v12 wrote:
Quote:
I love the photo, very colorful

whats lens and settings did you use?

Thanks! I have the Nikon D300 (amazing camera, big step up from the D200 IMHO) and I had on the 300mm F/2.8 lens with 1.4x TC (if I remember correctly about the TC)

One more.

ISO 800 ~ F/4 ~ 1/1250 sec

Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:03 PM   #5

Mike, the colors and cuteness certainly make the shot special, however, my preference would be to trim some off the left, I think there is enough blue flower to warrant this, and also, if possible, to give more "leg room", even though the legs are not visible [but then I'm just fussy:G]
Must be a pleasure to see these creatures in such beautiful surroundings !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:48 PM   #6

beautiful images . . . and precious subject.

a agree with the 'leg' comment. i try to allow for unseen legs and feet in my pics so the subject does not look stunted. i think your fawn looks like it has its legs folded under it. just my preference.

i wish i had some four legged critters to take pics of!

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:28 PM   #7

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Mike, the colors and cuteness certainly make the shot special, however, my preference would be to trim some off the left, I think there is enough blue flower to warrant this, and also, if possible, to give more "leg room", even though the legs are not visible [but then I'm just fussy:G]
Must be a pleasure to see these creatures in such beautiful surroundings !!
Hi Mike, your colours are great as usual. I tend to agree about trimming a bit off the left as you can still fit in a few flowers.Right now, my eye can't decide on the fawn or the lupines - unless that is intended. Either way - this is nice work. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:45 PM   #8

Mike, those are great, but I would trim a bit off on the right on the first one instead of the left because I see the empty space as a distraction that takes away from the great composition of the rest of the photo.

IMHO!!
Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:58 PM   #9

Now thats the type of feedback I want you guys to start giving me! :-)

I agree that I should take off some of the left side of the first image for comp purposes. Sorry Tom, I need that open space to the right open as that is the direction the fawn is looking. :-)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:41 PM   #10

Well, IMO both are great, but I am going to be the contrarian again. I agree that you need the space on the right, but I like your original instinct about the lupines. An image of afawn among the flowers has a certain delicacteness to it, but each picture hasan ambianceof its own, quite different from the other. The lupinesare essential to the context of the first one, and I would not take much of them out - no more than up to the tall red flower, leaving the clump intact - not much, but it will help the balance and remove the spaceto theleft of the tallest lupine. The second image emphasizes the fawn; in the firstone the fawn is the central element, but only a part of the overall picture - deemphasizing the lupines would change that.

Edit: I tried several crops - each one increasingly shifts the emphasis to the fawn and away from the feeling of openness that the space to the left of the clump of lupines lends to the entire picture. A crop makes for better technical composition but detracts from the overall impression of the openness of the fawn's surroundings, so I guess whether you crop at all, or how much you do, depends what you want the image to convey.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote