Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:33 AM   #1
KEM

I believe these are called Pigeon Guillemot. These two youngsters were waiting for mom tocome in from the surfwith some chow.

-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2

Very pretty birds, beautiful photo.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3

Nice pose -- we seldom see them this far south, although they nest in sea caves on one or two of the Channel Islands - again shooting from a boat into a dark cave just doesn't cut it. You are fortunate to have them so accessible.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4

Lovely shots Kent. This is another species I've never seen. Well done....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:23 PM   #5
KEM

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Nice pose -- we seldom see them this far south, although they nest in sea caves on one or two of the Channel Islands - again shooting from a boat into a dark cave just doesn't cut it. You are fortunate to have them so accessible.
Penolta, I was actually down your way when I took these. I stopped at a light house between Santa Cruz and Halfmoon bay...right now I can't remember the name of the place but if you're interested i can get back to you. The two birds are nested on a rock outcropping just off a trail that leads to an outlook with great afternoon light.

Where are you located?

-Kent

Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:00 PM   #6

KEM wrote:
Penolta, I was actually down your way when I took these. I stopped at a light house between Santa Cruz and Halfmoon bay...right now I can't remember the name of the place but if you're interested i can get back to you. The two birds are nested on a rock outcropping just off a trail that leads to an outlook with great afternoon light.

Where are you located?

-Kent
[/quote]

California has a long coastline - I am actually many miles further south in Southern California (it is a 3 to 4 hour boat trip to the nearest colony on the rugged seaward side of Santa Barbara Island, where there is no boat landing), but I appreciate the offer. If I do get up that way, I may take you up on the offer, but I think I know where you mean. I have seen them on the coast at points in Northern California, Oregon and Washington as well.

These two Pigeon Guillemots are actually in adult breeding plumage (they do not get this plumage until the second year) - one of them them may have eggs or chicks underneath, or they may just be roosting. Did you actually see these being fed? Most alcids (members of that Family) bail out of the nest and go to sea as downy chicks with their parents and are fed on the surface of the water until they mature (even the Marbled Murrelets that nest high up in the Redwood trees!).

I really like that photo - good job. :-)
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:26 PM   #7
KEM

penolta wrote:
Quote:
KEM wrote:

Where are you located?

-Kent

California has a long coastline - I am actually many miles further south in Southern California (it is a 3 to 4 hour boat trip to the nearest colony on the rugged seaward side of Santa Barbara Island, where there is no boat landing), but I appreciate the offer. If I do get up that way, I may take you up on the offer, but I think I know where you mean. I have seen them on the coast at points in Northern California, Oregon and Washington as well.

These two Pigeon Guillemots are actually in adult breeding plumage (they do not get this plumage until the second year) - one of them them may have eggs or chicks underneath, or they may just be roosting. Did you actually see these being fed? Most alcids (members of that Family) bail out of the nest and go to sea as downy chicks with their parents and are fed on the surface of the water until they mature (even the Marbled Murrelets that nest high up in the Redwood trees!).

I really like that photo - good job. :-)[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea.. might be a bit of a road trip for you. :-)

Well, I never actually saw any feeding going on. I just assumed they were young by the way they were squabbling with each other and the fact they were checking me out with out any real fear. Thanks for the info on the plumage.

-Kent