Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1

-I took these photos last December..cold temperatures...Beautiful birds! I live in Kenai, Alaska, about 90 minutes from Homer.

Attached Images

Colleen-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:18 AM   #2

@nd shot... these eagles are notso shy
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3

One more photo... I am not a very good photographer yet--just getting used to my Canon digital Rebel... I am signed up for a class at the local college at the end of the month.. I hope to learn my camera and also learn composition, lighting, digital editing...

The basics!
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:58 AM   #4

I'd say you are off to a good start, and welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful folks on this forum who will be happy to help you out with any problems or questions,
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:39 AM   #5

Fantastic photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6

The top one is a real winner for me. Good detail and color. Welcome to our forum. I am looking forward to seeing your view of Alaska. I visit there every year but not too far north.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:38 PM   #7

Where do you visit? The Kenai Peninsula is not very far north, home to Seward where alot of the cruise lines come into Resurrection Bay. All 3 photos were taken in winter...we have some interesting dilemnas with light here in winter: 4 hours daylight..nice quality-the sun doesnt get very high...like perpetual morning/afternoon light. it is especially evident in the 2nd and 3rd photos...casts a golden coloring..

On cloudy days in winter...its nearly dark and very hard to get clear photos of wildlife...at least for me it is. If the wildlife would just HOLD STILL!

In summer..we have 20 hours daylight...so long morning and afternoon quality lightperiods.

I just moved herelast October, we are still house hunting (wanted to make itthrough the winter before buying), getting to know the land and sea.. There are many species of bird that migrate to/through Alaska... its a stunningly beautiful place..mountains everywhere, wildlife everywhere! So far we absolutely LOVE it! We came here from Michigan... last winter in Alaska was no worse than Michigan..our temps on the peninsula are buffered by the ocean.. so it is still colder than MIchigan...but less wind and fewer cloudy days. Everything is white and sparkly, so clean looking with new snow every few days..

Sorry...I tend to get long winded when describing Alaska.. I'm still very excited to be here!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:15 PM   #8

We never get further than Ketchikan. We only go by ship and it must be round trip San Francisco. Maybe one day they will have a longer cruise from SF that goes up north but until then, we will have to miss the rest of Alaska.
I have a friend in Fairbanks who is a wonderful photographer. Are you near there?
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:46 PM   #9

Notclose to Fairbanks... I think its about a 10 hour drive... Alaska is a large state... its decieving to look at a map. we havent been to Fairbanks yet--its a someday plan though!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:18 PM   #10

Beautiful birds, Colleen, and very good exposure on the first one. From what I have heard about Homer, photo opps of Bald Eagles are plentiful. I have a friend that just recently made a photobirding trip to Alaska and I was surprised at the amount and variety of birds found there.

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote