Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:43 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

Another pony shot from my recent trip to Snowdonia, North Wales. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

And here is me being nibbled on!

Thanks guys!

Read about this shot and others at my Photoblog:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:01 AM   #2

I like the first one...very dramatic, closeup of the horse, dark, stormy sky, forbidding land.

Great!
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:57 PM   #3

No. 1 is stunning - dramatic lighting. Are you using HDR processing/software?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 2:54 PM   #4

Wonderful "haunted" lookin the horse's eye - wind-tossed mane, dramatic background-- these all come together for a spectacular phot. Well done!

Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:44 AM   #5

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys, much appreciated!

@penolta, all my post processing was done in Photoshop, no HDR. A true HDR would not be possible in a shot like this as the horse would not be static, thus making multiple exposures impossible....Thanks for taking the time to comment though, I'm pleased you like the shot!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:21 AM   #6

True HDR no, but there are supposed to be ways you can simulate it from one image, although I have never tried any. If you have a Mac there is a program that claims to enable you to use images generated in Photoshop from a single photograph to emulate HDR (however with photographs like this, you obviously don't need it):

http://www.pangeasoft.net/pano/bracketeer/examples.html
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:32 AM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
True HDR no, but there are supposed to be ways you can simulate it from one image, although I have never tried any. If you have a Mac there is a program that claims to enable you to use images generated in Photoshop from a single photograph to emulate HDR (however with photographs like this, you obviously don't need it):

http://www.pangeasoft.net/pano/bracketeer/examples.html
A well exposed RAW file potentially contains 4 fstops of data. You could if you wanted save four differently exposed versions of the same RAW file and then run those files through a program like Photomatix or PS to be then able to tonemap the image.

From experience the results are nothing spectacular, and if your working with a well exposed RAW in the first place then the whole process kind of becomes pointless!

i tried this technique extensively, in particular with portraits in an effort to acheive a more surreal look, but the results were always dissapointing.

Hope this info helps!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:57 AM   #8

Due to limitations of my old Windows computer, I have only been shooting jpgs. Now that I have improved my situation, I have been exploring software available for the Mac. Bracketeer claims to use an algorithm that eliminates some of the problems inherent in the method you describe. The program is inexpensive, and someday I might download their demo version to try and to see if it works as claimed, but right now I am still learning a new system and have too many other demands on my time. Maybe someday, or another of our Mac users would be curious enough to try it. thanks for your comments.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:16 PM   #9

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

longside1 wrote:

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Another pony shot from my recent trip to Snowdonia, North Wales. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

And here is me being nibbled on!

Thanks guys!

Read about this shot and others at my Photoblog:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com
There was an actor, a mad genius by the name Klaus Kinsky. He invented a way to be approached by the camera. It's somewhat hard to describe. Back towards the camera, neck and head in a movement from the camera. Just came to my mind.

Brilliant, edgy picture whispering to the viewer old tales, sagas from a distant passed

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:15 PM   #10

Great horse shots!
First one reminds me of an appaloosa named dreamer that I use to own.:-)
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote