Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1

Taken on the upper Kenai while fishing, one Loon in particular was cooperative-they are typically shy and will dive when you try to get close. I was shooting photos for a photography class; had to shoot in shutter priority (TV)... trying to learn the camera. The result yielded a fairly shallow depth of field... something I'm not thrilled with-- Would prefer that the entire bird (at least) is in focus. I dont know that I'll get another op like this anytime soon--should have changed settings, but was anticipating the Loon diving at any moment.

Attached Images

Colleen-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2

another

Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:42 AM   #3

another

Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:21 PM   #4

Hi Colleen,
I understand you're learning a new camera and also taking photography classes, so I hope my critique will be taken in the spirit intended. I'm rather new to DSLR photography myself so I'm by no means an expert but, just wanted to share a few tips that might help. I see from the EXIF on these shots that you are using a shutter speed of 1/13 sec. aperture f: 45 and ISO 800 with a focal length of 300mm.

Not being familiar with your camera, lens or the lighting conditions, I can't say what you should have used but, considering the amount of light you managed to capture at f: 45 it appears you had a pretty bright sun. Since you are using shutter priority I would choose a shutter speed of at least 1/500 sec and let the camera select the proper f: stop. Also I see you had the exposure compensation set at -.67 EV which probably isn't needed.

You mentioned you were unhappy with the shallow DOF. Actually the DOF at f: 45 would be as deep as you could get! The reason for the out of focus "look" was the long shutter speed. I'll have to compliment you on your ability to get that good of a shot of a moving target with that long shutter speed!

The other thing I see as a potential problem is the high ISO. If you were indeed shooting on a bright sunny day, then ISO 100 would be the normal under those conditions.

Try to keep these things in mind.
Aperture: the smaller the number, the wider the opening. Such as, a lens with a stop range of f: 2.8 – 22 a setting of 2.8 would be wide open allowing the max light into the camera and 22 would be stopped all the way down to let the min light into the camera.
Shutter speed: the longer (slower) the shutter, the more light is allowed into the camera. A short (fast) shutter allows less light. But, a fast shutter is needed to stop motion blur. The more the motion the faster shutter needed to stop or "freeze" the motion.
ISO: the best way to think of this is to think how sensitive the camera is to the available light. For example, bright light= low ISO like 100 medium to low light 400-800 and low to really low light 800-1600 all the way down to 3200 on some cameras. Keep in mind that the higher the ISO the more noise you'll see in the photo, so you only want to use as high an ISO as necessary to get the shot that you want.

This is only a guideline to help you get a place to start, there is a lot more to getting the correct settings for the particular shots you want but, you'll learn that as you go along. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!
Regards,
John
Aka, GW :bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:13 PM   #5

GW...Thank you SO much for taking the time to post this... I've been SO frustrated... It seems that the terminology is all back-ass-wards. I understand ISO, I understand shutter speed... the weather was cloudy, and then sunny and then raining...and our instructor will not let me use any of my normal (usual) settings... I used to just set the camera on "sports" and then manually focus..

So...today, I will go take pictures (its raining) with a higher shutter speed setting.. I printed your email...but this stuff is NOT sinking in without me going out and DOING it.. I am not an unintelligent person...so I dont know why its so hard!

ISO= the sensors sensitivity to light

Shutter speed...how long the light hits the film ( or sensor)

These two things I understand... one thing I learned--what I see through the view finder IS NOT necessarily what is being recorded! It never occured to me to look at the photos to see what was captured...DUH-- I thought what I saw is what was being recorded...

Part of the problem is the acronyms-- What does ISO stand for?

F= what?

I dont know what F stop is... or controls... I think it controls how big the aperture opens... And a smaller aperture is a deeper DOF (which is also confusing). I didnt set the F stop (at least I dont think I did)...

You mention exposure compensation...not sure what button handles that LOL!

I know...I'm a baby in the photography world.... But dont abandon me here....

I had the ISO set at 800 from shooting in the rain... I'm not sure how the shutter speed got set so low...I had it up higher earlier...

You'll be impressed by the fact that I was in a boat too............................. I DO have a steady hand...

I took >100 shots of this loon.. only a few turned out... also, I focus on the face (or try to).... and it seems difficult to get that black head, red eye and the white feathers all properly exposed.... This might require an act of God!

I do have a text... I have been reading...but for some reason..its just not sinking in...I think I'm a "hands on" type person... I can memorise this stuff...but I wont really UNDERSTAND it until I use it literally...

I need to take your post and go shoot some photos... I WILL understand this eventually...

Again...Thank you for taking the time to teach me, your critique was not insulting in the least...it is EXACTLY what I was looking for! This is why I'm posting photos here...I'm trying to learn...

Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:34 PM   #6

Hey Colleen,
I'm still chuckling as I write this.:lol: mainly because I understand completely!
It might be best if I send you a PM, so as not to bore everyone else here with our bantering. :G
check your private messages, I'll do my best to get back to you this evening and we'll see what we can do to help you through this. it may be tomorrow afternoon before I can get back, I'm going to do a little research on your camera first so I can understand better how it works compared to mine.
hang tight...
GW
:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:04 PM   #7

Ok... I figured out how the shutter speed got altered...it is adjusted by turning a dial on top (when shooting in shutter priority)..also figured out the exposure Compensation (assuming its connected to a light meter type guage).

I'll check my PMs....and thanks again for helping! No hurry...its raining today (all darn day:sad