Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:33 PM   #1

This morning, I got my first good look at a swamp sparrow in the bushes near the local fish hatchery

These guys bury themselves deep in the brush along the ponds and the first clue you have that they are around is when they surprise you by flying right past you and hightailing it out of camera range. After shooting the one above, I remained still for about 15 minutes and was rewarded with a better view

A flock of American widgeons has been on the hatchery ponds the last two or three weeks--not sure if they're passing through or here fore the winter. These guys are extremely nervous (the whole flock will go at the slightest hint of perceiving a human), and there's absolutely zero cover for a stalk. After spooking the main part of the flock, I was able to wait out a smaller group and take advantage of some late afternoon sun....love the green mask

I was evidently relatively successful at remaining still because these two came in while I was sitting on the bank

The other hend of the hatchery, however, remain vulture territory after a massive fish die-off in a pond about a week ago. Ugly bird, but he favored me with a nice post

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:54 AM   #2

Paul, that isn't the view you normally see when you get a shot of a Vulture, almost looks like it is looking at you as a possible lunch item.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote