Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:27 AM   #1

I went back to Bolsa Chica this afternoon to try shooting with the sunset lighting. It was much quieter in regards to the birding activity around the bridge today.

1) I was bored so I took a shot of this fierce looking Rock Dove as it flew by.

2) Juvenile Tern of some sort. Any ideas Penolta? I'm guessing a Forster's Tern.

3) I love how aerodynamic terns look in flight.

4) A couple more Brown Pelican shots. Full frame. No chopped wings.

5) When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

6) Took this shot of an Avocet last week. I like the look of the water.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Juvenile Tern of some sort. Any ideas Penolta? I'm guessing a Forster's Tern.
First winter Forster's (no longer a juvenile - call it immature). The second one is a winter adult. I like the lighting on the first tern.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:45 PM   #3

love the shots, hung.

i have experienced that 'gotta go' in my pics on occasion. fortunately the birds weren't flying over me at the time. :roll:

what lens do you usually use for these? i'm thinking maybe i should get a brighter lens so i can get good bif shots . . . instead of getting the 18-250mm. what lens do you use most?

ellen fl

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:09 PM   #4

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
love the shots, hung.

i have experienced that 'gotta go' in my pics on occasion. fortunately the birds weren't flying over me at the time. :roll:

what lens do you usually use for these? i'm thinking maybe i should get a brighter lens so i can get good bif shots . . . instead of getting the 18-250mm. what lens do you use most?

ellen fl
thanks ellen.

i only have 1 lens that i use for my wildlife/nature photography and that is my canon 400mm f5.6. if you want to get serious about bird photography then i would suggest you stick with a prime lens. if you are shooting in regular daylight the brightness or max apeture is not as important.

if you want to get more bif shots then you should look for a lens that is fast to focus, that is critical. in that regard, look for a lens that has an ultrasonic motor instead of the regular camera driven motor. when i first got into bird photography, i used a sigma 70-300mm apo dg macro lens. that used the camera's motor to focus and it drove me nuts! it was slow, inaccurate and noisy! it sounded like drill. when i upgraded to the ultrasonic motor of the canon 400mm f5.6, when i press down on the autofocus button, the lens simply snaps into focus. super fast and accurate. the camera also has an easier time adjusting the focus for a subject that is moving/flying.

so in summary, look for a prime lens with an ultrasonic motor and the longest focal length that you can afford. oh and in regards to image stabilization, if you are shooting bif, image stabilization is not necessary since you will be shooting at a very fast shutter speed, generally fasting than 1/1000 which really negates the benefits of image stabilization. also getting a lens without image stabilization saves you some money too. i do not have any image stabilization in my lenses or camera and i hand hold all of my shots.

just my 2 cents...

- Hung
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:21 PM   #5

thanks for the info, hung. i have been avoiding primes because i like having a do-everything zoom but, since i plan to visit some preserves, i might as well look into a prime lens.

ellen fl
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6

Beautiful Tern shots Hung. Love the golden light...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:49 AM   #7

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the info, hung. i have been avoiding primes because i like having a do-everything zoom but, since i plan to visit some preserves, i might as well look into a prime lens.

ellen fl
what's your curret gear setup?

- hung
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:16 PM   #8

i bought the sony a300 with:
18-70
55-200

additional purchases:
tamron 28-300 (film lens)
sony 18-200.

i have a tamron 18-250 digital lens on the way. (i'm SUCH a gear wh*re!) in my defense, the new lens will replace the 28-300, which i will sell. the 18-200 will probably go on the block too. :roll:

i looked at some primes on the 'net last night and most are pretty pricey. any suggestion you have would be most welcome.

btw, i haven't spent time yet but i bookmarked the wildlife photographer's site you linked me too. thanks again.

tia

ellen fl
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:42 PM   #9

Super beautiful series.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:44 AM   #10

As usual, great BIF shots Hung!

I have a shot of an Eagle sitting on a branch that just had to go, not a wall hanger of a shot but sharp and unique!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote