Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:34 AM   #1

There's a continual debate as to whether one should edit one's images, and if so, how much.

My answer to the questions :

Do you Edit ? - Yes

How Much ? - Lots [As much as is required to produce what I want to]

I've posted a pre-edit and a post-edit of this Anhinga as an example

The first image is a straight RAW conversion, at default settings, nothing else

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:36 AM   #2

This second image is an edit of the first, and I have produced what I set out to achieve with my camera and Photoshop.

Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:29 AM   #3

Congratulations on reaching your goal. I agree with you that an artist does what he needs to do to reproduce what his mind sees. Nice work.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:39 AM   #4

Well, I think it's photographic art, and we should use all the tools available to us to achieve our goal. Edit as much as one wishes is my take....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:44 PM   #5

I agree with Don. Edit? Absolutely, whatever it takes. If your goal is to produce what's in your imagination then use all tools available to you. If you are trying to capture wildlife in a natural setting then that's a different goal.

I love your edit. It a beautiful picture.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, Jim, Don and Steve - There are some purists out there who are very particular about editing [some say don't do ANY editing at all], however, I'm in agreement with you guys - get the results you want, after all that is what you're looking for - results :-)
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:40 AM   #7

excellent example of the power of editing your pics in post processing. some of the best photographers i admire are very skilled and gifted at photoshop editing and are able to pull every last bit of image quality out of the pic. it makes a huge difference.

purists are purist. i have a friend that doesn't edit his pics. he always asked me if i cropped and photoshop my pics when i show him something. it boggles my mind. i tell him YES that is my standard work flow. i would never show anyone an unedited pic. that would be similar to showing someone negative film in my opinion. unfortunately as my photoshop and photography skills have grown, there is now quite a large gap in image quality between my pics and his pics. he has finally come to realize the power of editing.

speaking of editing, do you realize that even the great ansel adams, "edited" his pics. he would spend days to weeks playing around with developing chemicals in post processing to achieve the look that he desired in his prints.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:01 PM   #8

To not edit a digital image is like playing a Fender Strat electric guitar with no amplifier :lol:
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:34 PM   #9

Very nice shot and edit!!! That's a winner!!!!!

I used to process my own B&W in a dark room, and, being very inspired by the work of Ansel Adams, did a lot of cropping, dogde and burn, etc. So yes, edit, edit, edit. Those who choose not to are just missing out on making good shots, great.

I have heard many people say, and I agree, Ansel would have loved Photoshop!!

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:58 PM   #10
Super Moderator

No problem with editing at all as it is an update of exactly what used to happen in the dark room without the strong chemicals

The thing I have an issue with is people claiming a shot to be what they captured when actually they have added something else in to make it something that wasn't there in the first place. Again, I have no issue with adding or removing something from a shot, but just don't claim it to be what you captured in the first place.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote