Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:38 PM   #1

By December, if we start to see snowies in the rural fields that's usually a sign that we'll see more in the coming months. They come downin parts of eastern Ontario because the vole and mice population up north are in decline and they are more plentiful in the open fields. This is my first yearbirding them and what follows are some captures taken in December and the some really nice ones I took yeserday.

#1 Highwireact
Attached Images

fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:39 PM   #2

#2 More of the same
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:40 PM   #3

#3 Taken from the other side (did I mention walking in snow drifts to get these?) :lol:
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:42 PM   #4

# 4 Different bird - taken yesterday (it was -20F and the wind was blowing at 40 mph - the things we do for love of good captures ) :G
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:44 PM   #5

DANG! You have been really working some magic in your last three posts. The Snowy Owl is gorgeous, I wish we got them down here. Stupid o'l Sunny California. :lol:
I really like the wooden post for a perch, now you just need to clone it into the other shots. LOL.

Really nice work Dan,

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:54 PM   #6

#5 - Now it gets interesting. I spotted this one - a female, I'm pretty sure - sitting ina corn stubblefield about 40 yards from the road. I got out of the car and in a crouch, slowly moved in her general direction. Not right at her but angling toward her. I ended up on my knees slowly working my way near her, taking shots as I moved. I managed to get to within 15-20 yards of her. Had a heck of a time positioning myself to take captures that didn't have corn stalks in the way of the shots. I could have stood up but that would have really spooked her and that's not why I was there. The sun was behind me and for the love of me I couldn't get her to open those golden eyes (too much glare and wind and blowing snow I guess).I didn't get any closer 'cause by then I couldn't feel my fingers so I slowly returned to the warm confines of my car.
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:05 PM   #7

# 6 - Last one but my best one thus far. After pic # 5, I drove around the back roads looking for more subjects and about an hour later I came back to the scene of the crime. To my surprise, she was still there and now was only about 20 yards from the road. So I parked the car a little ways off and crouched back to the side of the road. I started angling in again - on my knees - and then went to a full crawl on all fours, inching myself forward with my elbows. The snow was hard packed by the wind so I didn't sink too much. I estimate I got to within 30 feet of her before I took this eye level capture. After that, I'd had enough and once again sough the comfort and heat from the car.

Footnote: in my excitement, I didn't realize that my jacket pockets weren't zipped closed. Crawling through the snow filled them up. I didn't find out until my pockets started to leak as the snow was melting in the car :lol:. But by then I didn't care since I was on my way home. Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Dan
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:27 PM   #8

Outstanding series, super beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:39 PM   #9

Dan, you are dedication personified! What great shots. :shock:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:02 PM   #10

Dan, those are just great, the Snowy Owl comes this far south rarely and is extremely hard to get photos of.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote