Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:04 PM   #1

(Survival Story) Crippled Bull Elk - Long Post

I found elk tracks that had crossed the road this morning so I pulled ever and shined my flashlight on them and it was a single elk, but this elk had a problem. There was no track for his back left hoof, about every 10 yards or so there was a 3 to 4 inch hole in place of the hoof. My first thought was a broken leg, then I realized that didn't figure cuz there were no drag of flopping marks by the track. I decided to wait for light so I could try and figure out what was going on. When there was enough light I started glassing with my binoculars and like a dummy I started at the top of the ridge. I couldn't find any sign where elk had crossed the top of the big ridge. I went back to where I found the first tracks and followed them and they went over a little ridge about a hundred yards away but did not continue on the other side of the ridge. Gooood news he was close so now all I had to do was find him. Got out the spotting scope and started looking for movement or the wrong color. About a 1/2 hour later and 1 cup of coffee I found the top of one of his antlers. OK now find a place where I can see over the ridge and try for a few shots. I picked the way I wanted to do the stalk the sunny side of a small ridge (less snow) with lots of cedars for cover and off I went.

All the wildlife in my area are having a lot of trouble finding food and they are trying to go farther South to get out of the deep snow. In the little village I live in, by the END of January we would have had 52 inches of snow. It is the 7th of January and we already have had 112 inches of snow and are suppose to have more on the way.

When I first found him he looked fine but I knew better cuz of the way his body moved when he walked.

I got lucky and I was right, he was missing the back bottom part of his left leg (hoof). This was a injury from this year, I looked it over pretty good (I took my spotting scope with me) and the healing process looked to be going good, no swelling or dripping but no hair growing there yet. He was still having trouble with his balance when he tried to do things. If he does make it thru this winter he will never be breeding herd bull cuz of his injury he won't win the fights it takes to keep a bunch of cows. This is a good thing cuz his genetics are not good at all.

Looks like he found dinner.

YUP!!! sure smells gooood. I got to reach up higher.

Close but no cigar. The good stuff is up higher.

Damn, the good stuff is just to high.

I got me a problem I got to figure out. The good stuff is to high for me to get to, I can't stand on my back legs to reach it cuz of my bum leg................I got it Plan B - Use my antlers.

I best start off with a little shake so I can get used to keeping my balance on 3 legs

This balance thing is a little strange but I think I am getting the hang of it.

OK, now I got to really get after it to break off some dinner. I got to remember to keep more weight on my back right side and then I can really get after it.

YUP!!! this is working.

Looks like dinner is a waiting

Time for Dinner. I earned it.

Mom was right!!! When you got a problem stop and think about it and them come up with a plan B and then Get-er-done

Hey Camera Guy!!! I know you already know it but now you can show you friends how we do think and reason things out.

On the way back to the camera wagon I had a big smile on my face cuz now I know in my heart he will make it thru the winter. When I got back to my camera wagon he had moved up to the next tree and was reaching up for something to eat. I wished him luck on getting down to better winter ground and thanked him for letting me get a few shots, I stopped a ranger on the way home and showed him some of the shots and then I came home to get a hot shower and dry clothes.

It always amazes me the way animals will adjust to survive.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this long post but I figured folks would be interested to see "real life survival". I also really like this survival series cuz for me it generates a lot of emotion and I like photos that generate emotion.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2

Great Job Roger.
Your emotions and true love of nature really come through when you do a series like this. My hats off to you Amigo.
Thanks and way to go,

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:51 AM   #3

Great series about the indefatigable will of an animal to find another way to survive. I would not of believed it unless I saw it in your clear photo series.

Boy that photo story would make a great childrens' story....ie; it doesn't matter if you have a physical challenge, there is always a way to work things out.

I know you have collaborated with a childrens' author before....
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:05 AM   #4

Roger, I don't think there is anything "wrong with his genetics." If he can survive this winter like that, they must be pretty darn good! It takes a dedicated photographer to get shots like that - good for you.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:06 AM   #5

smac wrote:
Quote:
Great Job Roger.
Your emotions and true love of nature really come through when you do a series like this. My hats off to you Amigo.
Thanks and way to go,

Steve
Thanks Steve, YUP!!! I do love my friends out in the woods.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:07 AM   #6

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Great series about the indefatigable will of an animal to find another way to survive. I would not of believed it unless I saw it in your clear photo series.

Boy that photo story would make a great childrens' story....ie; it doesn't matter if you have a physical challenge, there is always a way to work things out.

I know you have collaborated with a childrens' author before....
Thank you SIR. Interesting idea.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:10 AM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Roger, I don't think there is anything "wrong with his genetics." If he can survive this winter like that, they must be pretty darn good! It takes a dedicated photographer to get shots like that - good for you.
Maybe genetics is the wrong word. This year he has terrable antlers and now with a injury on his left side his right antler figures to be even a bigger mess. One thing I am sure off is he will not be able to win the fights with other bulls required to be a herd bull.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:23 PM   #8

will he still be allowed to play with the other kids? if he is ostracized, won't he be more vulnerable to predators?

nice series, roger. thanks.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:42 PM   #9

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
will he still be allowed to play with the other kids? if he is ostracized, won't he be more vulnerable to predators?

nice series, roger. thanks.

ellen fl
Good question, I have seen cripled elk with other elk so I am guessing when he gets to the winter grounds he will join in just fine. This time of the year the cows and bulls are in seperate groups.

Wacky roger