Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:05 PM   #1

I finally got some bird pics with my canon S5 which has actually dissapointed me a little in raw image quality, but these came out decent.

This seems to be a very common hawk around here (Ohio) but searching online I cannot accurately identify it, seems the descriptions of all the common hawk seem to have one feature at least that doesnt fit. I dont know.
Attached Images

mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:58 PM   #2

This is a Red-tail Hawk, as you say, quite common. The problem with hawk identification is that their plumages are quite variable. This one looks to be a fairly typical juvenile, although in some parts of the country you would have to see the tail to be certain. Nice photo.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:06 PM   #3

penolta wrote:
Quote:
This is a Red-tail Hawk, as you say, quite common. The problem with hawk identification is that their plumages are quite variable. This one looks to be a fairly typical juvenile, although in some parts of the country you would have to see the tail to be certain. Nice photo.
Thanks for the info. WhenI searched various bird id sites originally it seemed that every pic of the red tailed hawk did not have a white patch under the throat like mine did... but after your post i searched again and did see some that had the white patch. It seemed his (or hers?) tail was mostly covered by the branch in all of my photos.

Here is another photoI picked out... I got a couple with its wings up all the way but they came out blurry unfortunately.
Attached Images

mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote