Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:11 AM   #11

the greenish cast is in the sky, Steve... like maybe the cyan hue is off just a tad...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:41 AM   #12

Very nice, Steve. Looks like it was definitely worth the effort.

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:52 AM   #13

Quote:
the greenish cast is in the sky, Steve... like maybe the cyan hue is off just a tad...
Must be a monitor thing. I see it on my old Sony LCD monitor, but not on my iMac, on which it looks perfectly sky blue. I've not calibrated either, but the iMac is newer and in OEM condition and the Sony has been manually adjusted repeatedly. However I didn't even notice it on the Sony until I did a side-by side comparison by dragging the image so that half displayed on each monitor.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Must be a monitor thing. I see it on my old Sony LCD monitor, but not on my iMac, on which it looks perfectly sky blue. I've not calibrated either, but the iMac is newer and in OEM condition and the Sony has been manually adjusted repeatedly. However I didn't even notice it on the Sony until I did a side-by side comparison by dragging the image so that half displayed on each monitor.
could be, but i use a calibrated Compaq flat-screen CRT for all my adjustments, and all my prints come back with the right hues, so i'm guessing my monitor is probably not that far off...
Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:14 PM   #15

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I too use Mac's. I do most of my post processing on a 20" Aluminum iMac that's about a year old. I have thought about it, but never calibrated the screen. I do notice that when I look down from above on the monitor the sky does have a slightly greenish (very slightly) cast to it. But when I lower my angle of view the sky looks perfectly sky blue, a light sky blue. Interesting phenomenon.
Anyway, thanks again for the feedback and comments.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:39 PM   #16

LCD monitors are notorious for changing the appearance - contrast, saturation, hue - of images as the viewing angle changes. i never trust any of my processing to an LCD display... that said, i don't think my monitor is that far off... if it were, people would be commenting on my colors being out of whack.

Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:10 AM   #17

with Steve's permission, here's the shot with the cyan hue corrected to what looks on my monitor to be a closer approximation of "sky blue"...

Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:58 AM   #18

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
with Steve's permission, here's the shot with the cyan hue corrected to what looks on my monitor to be a closer approximation of "sky blue"...

That looks a little more true sky blue to me, not that I noticed a green hue on my monitor. Good job Rocky.

Hey Steve. There are some good inexpensive calibrators nowadays. I use Spyder..got it for less than 100 bucks from Amazon. There are others too like the Huey (?), and they're a real good investment....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:34 PM   #19

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
That does look a bit bluer - closer to the blue in my avatar background - you'd think I would have noticed that!.:roll:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:51 PM   #20

Yes, yes the blue looks more sky like.
Now that we all spent so much time on this, and I think it has been well worth the discussion I have to explain something. When I first adjusted the sky, I didn't really put any real thought into the blue. I just opened up the color palette tool and picked something that I thought was close. It turned out that it was a little on the greenish side. My original CYMK values are as follows.

C 27% Rocky's were C 50%
M 1% M 28%
Y 1% Y 4%
M 0% K 0%

Rocky's values yielded a much closer approximation of the blue sky. So, I am not sure that my, or any of our monitors were misreading the colors. We all saw, to some extent, the greenish hue that I had inadvertently selected in my original edit. Rocky just had a keener eye for it I guess. I guess if I am going to try and adjust the sky color I should be more careful that I actually select a color that is more sky like. I usually don't try for a perfect replication of the natural world because in my experience nature isn't perfect and it can give the scene an unnatural look. This is particularly true when cloning out weeds and other distractions. You don't want to do a perfect job (IMHO) because it just doesn't look natural. Colors of the sky, it seems, are more obvious if we don't get them just right.
Thanks to everyone who commented and offered their opinions, I, for one, learned a valuable lesson.

Thanks and Cheers,

Steve

Oh My! I just noticed that the same greenish hue is present in my Avatar. Guess I should fix that, hehehe, :roll:

smac is offline   Reply With Quote