Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Bee and Hoverfly in Flight

Im very limited on subjects to shoot so I'm posting what I can get . I could never get the first bee to turn towards me or give me a profile but did manage to stop his wings. I found that its harder to stop action on these little buggers than hummingbirds. The Hoverfly (THANKS DENNIS) would do nothing but give me a profile but I was not able to stop his wings. I guess due to the angle the light was hitting.

Canon Digital Rebel with included 18-55mm lens and built in flash
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 5:03 PM   #2
djb

stunning shots!!!!!! the second pic is actually a hover fly, sometimes called a flower fly. really clear shots!!!! great job!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 5:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
stunning shots!!!!!! the second pic is actually a hover fly, sometimes called a flower fly. really clear shots!!!! great job!!

dennis
Thanks for the comment and ID. I found out shortly after I posted that it was not a bee like I had thought.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:23 PM   #4

I guess I'll have to stop running away from bees and, instead, shoot them.

Stunning pix.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:45 PM   #5

I'm with djb. Those are stunning shots!!!!!!

There have been a lot of bee and insect shots posted on this forum and those are amongst the best!

Great job
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:17 PM   #6

Fantastic close up quality--- and with the kit lens too!!!
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:35 PM   #7
djb

i wanted to ask, how close were you for these pics to get such closeups?? does the kit lns have a macro mode? i'm really itching to get a 10d or a 300d or equivalent next spring or summer. but, if i dothat then the wife wants a new sewing machine, the new house to put it in and other baubles and beads. the hover fly is just totally awesome to me!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
i wanted to ask, how close were you for these pics to get such closeups?? does the kit lns have a macro mode? i'm really itching to get a 10d or a 300d or equivalent next spring or summer. but, if i dothat then the wife wants a new sewing machine, the new house to put it in and other baubles and beads. the hover fly is just totally awesome to me!!!!

dennis
Thanks for all the comments.

Dennis I don't know a whole lot about photography but I don't think this lens is a macro lens. Its my understanding that manufacturers put the macro symbol (flower symbol) on lenses and right next to that the minimum focusing distance of that lens. This does not mean the lens is a macro lens. I don't know what separates a true macro lens from other lenses but I would guess higher quality optics and probably designed more towards macro photography.

On the 18-55 mm lens the minimum distance is .9 feet. I would estimate that I was over one foot away, probably closer to two feet. The bee and hoverfly were then cropped. The original images have alot larger.

Below is a pic I took handheld with a Sigma 105 mm EX Macro lens. This is my first shot with the lens so I have not figured it out yet hence the feet are out of focus due to the aperture being set wrong. If I cant the chance, I will try and take a similar pic using the 18-55mm lens to show the difference.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:48 PM   #9

Widowmaker, I truly am envious. Absolutely fantastic closeups.

Has National Geographic received your c.v./resume yet? (^J^)
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:34 PM   #10

Very nice shots indeed, number two is excellent in all respects!! On the Sigma shot, as you get close DOF REALLY comes into play; you need to stop down quite a lot to get decent DOF. This is when a tripod comes in handy
Kevin G is offline   Reply With Quote